Lawrence Academy, Groton, MA
Job Description Summary/Objective
The school nurse is based in the health center to provide nursing care to Lawrence Academy students and employees. The school nurse will assist the Director of Health Services in maintaining and executing the functions of the Lawrence Academy Health Center.
This is a part-time position during the school year (September-June), Mondays through Thursdays, 3:30 PM to 8:00 PM with on-call night and weekend call rotation every 4th week school is in session during the academic year.
- Provide nursing level visits for student illness or injury.
- Participate in the on-call rotation every 4th week for night and weekend calls (virtual and in person). This may require remaining in the health center during overnight or weekend hours if a student’s medical condition warrants.
- Administer prescription medication or vaccinations per physician order or by parent permission in the case of over-the-counter medications per school protocol.
- Participate in daily monitoring of students with concussions.
- Care given by the school nurse will be documented in real time within the school’s EMR.
- Protect student and employee confidentiality per standards professional ethics and legal requirements (FERPA).
- Communication with school administration faculty and/or coaches about attendance and student health excuses for classes, activities and athletics
- Communicate as appropriate with parents regarding their student’s medical condition(s) and need for follow up with outside providers.
- Refer as appropriate to the school psychologist or school physician.
- Transport students, via the nurse’s private vehicle, to necessary outside medical care (urgent or routine) on an as needed basis (mileage will be reimbursed according to school policy).
- Participate in maintaining the health center infirmary rooms including laundry and making beds.
- Assist the Director of Health Services with tasks as requested such as collection and review of student health forms, uploading of forms into the medical record and or filing system, maintaining the facilities of the Health Center in terms of supplies, office and health center organization, maintenance of medical and office equipment. In the event of absence of the Health Center Director the school nurse may be asked to sit in on meetings with school administration and/or teaching staff as needed to facilitate planning for individual student medical or mental health needs.
- Attend and assist in Registration at the start of the academic school year.
Qualifications & Skills
- Current Registered Nurse license in the state of MA
- 1 year experience as a RN
- Use of a reliable vehicle for student transport
- Proficiency and interest in working with an adolescent school health population, including local, boarding and international students
- CPR certification (recertification every 2 years provided by the school)
- Computer skills and familiarity with EHRs in general
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Current driver’s license
- Candidates will be required to complete a criminal history background check as a condition of employment required by Massachusetts law. These background checks include a driving record review, a Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI), a Sexual Offender Registry Information (SORI), and a fingerprint-based state and national criminal history record.
Please send materials to email@example.com, Subject: SCHOOL NURSE
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time.
The Academy does not discriminate and does not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran or Uniformed Service status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Additional Requirements:
Lawrence Academy is seeking candidates with a commitment to cultural competency which enables individuals to work and communicate across social and cultural differences. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Further, the Academy does not discriminate and does not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, genetic information, veteran or Uniformed Service status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.