Dexter Southfield School, Brookline, MA
About Dexter Southfield
Dexter Southfield is an independent school where boys and girls in Pre-K through Class 12 develop their individual talents and build an ethical foundation for life. Students learn to lead and serve with character, confidence, and compassion. Our 36-acre campus is located on the Brookline-Boston line, just minutes from the city’s best museums, libraries, hospitals, performing arts venues, colleges, and universities—all of which serve as an extension of our classrooms. At Dexter Southfield, we approach everything we do with enthusiasm and commitment, living by our school’s motto: “Our Best Today, Better Tomorrow.”
About Our Team
The Health Services team manages our health services program and provides nursing leadership to achieve optimal levels of wellness through health education and initiatives. They foster an environment of health and wellness among faculty, staff, students, and families to reduce the incidence of health-related disruptions, absenteeism, accidents, and injuries.
You are a health care professional who seeks to optimize student health and learning by promoting health and wellness at all levels in the school community. You are a self-starter with excellent interpersonal, communication, and diplomacy skills. In everything you do, you demonstrate an ability to assume increasing responsibility and tackle even the most challenging assignments with integrity, humor, and sound judgment.
To be successful in this role, you must be able to:
- Manage the School’s health offices to ensure proper protocols, record keeping, and compliance with federal, state, and local requirements and best medical practices
- Maintain proper documentation of all health records, encounters and provide follow up with parents and medical providers, as necessary
- Assess the condition and treatment needs for injured or ill students, faculty. and staff
- Administer medication as necessary, in accordance with best medical practices, policies, and state laws
- Communicate to parents any need for a student’s referral to a physician for evaluation and/or treatment
- Collaborate with athletic trainers, school counselor, Human Resources and others to assess health/safety hazards and ensure the health and well-being of students, faculty, and staff
- Maintain confidentiality and limit the sharing of information with faculty and staff on a need-to-know basis
- Assist in developing and implementing student medical care plans
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of communicable diseases and associated CDC recommendations, school health laws and regulations, and standards of nursing practice
- Coordinate and communicate with School medical doctor and administration for standing orders and other medical issues as needed
- Maintain relationship and open communication with community health and school leaders
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by the Head of School or his/her designee
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree from an accredited college or university
- Clean licensure record with the MA Board of Registration in Nursing
- Current and ongoing Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- At least two years of pediatric/adolescent healthcare experience; school nurse experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrate an ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific, technical, and professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations; respond to common inquiries and complaints from students, parents, school employees, or regulatory agencies; write business correspondence, reports, notices; and effectively present information to students, parents, and school administrators
- Commitment to continuing education and professional development to maintain nursing expertise and requirements for re-licensure
- Demonstrate an ongoing willingness to be knowledgeable, nurturing, friendly, compassionate and a respectful member of the Dexter Southfield community
- Proficiency with basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Working knowledge of Electronic Medical Records, a plus.
This is a full-time, year-round benefits-eligible position. This role will require full-time summer camp coverage plus occasional evenings and weekends.
At Dexter Southfield, we promote a culture of excellence that extends beyond academics, athletics, and the arts. We offer a culture in which employees feel valued and respected and are rewarded with a generous employee benefit package.
To apply for this full-time, year-round position, please apply online through our Careers page at www.dextersouthfield.org/careers.