Acera School, Winchester, MA
Acera is looking for a School Counselor to become a support for our students and a member within our counseling team. Our counselors enable students to develop their emotional intelligence, conflict resolution skills, teamwork, and decision making. Bring your highly collaborative spirit and deep commitment to high-engagement learning and join our school community!
We envision a world in which schools engage students in meaningful learning, in which teachers are freed as entrepreneurs in their classrooms, and in which students can become the best version of themselves, given each students’ unique capacities, needs, and passions. The Acera School day program provides students with unbounded access to learning, offering high-capacity students opportunity according to their ability, not age. Acera’s enrichment programs (after school, summer, and vacation week camps) are open to the public, and our Education Innovation (EI) efforts are actively engaged in public school projects to support educational change. We also partner with organizations beyond our walls, creating programs rich in sciences, technology, engineering, creativity, and the arts. We operate both as a lab school and a microcosm of what is possible for other schools. We seek to grow students’ emotional intelligence and develop the next generation of innovators, leaders, and creative thinkers who can make a positive impact in the world.
Learn more about how we teach at www.aceraschool.org/how-we-teach. Job Duties & Responsibilities
As a school counselor, you will need to use strong skills in listening, supporting, skill building, and facilitation to:
- ● Enable student growth in emotional intelligence (self awareness, self regulation, social skills).
- ● Partner with teachers, counseling team, and parents to assure students get interventions andskill building opportunities that align with their learning profile.
- ● Provide individualized support for students via our Student Support Program under theguidance of the Student Support Program Manager.
- ● Intervene, as needed, to redirect and coach students during transitions, recesses, and duringclass time; ask for help and escalate issues you see.
- ● Be a flexible member of the community to step in as needed across the school.
- ● Continuously learn and improve practice by learning from others on staff and participating in professional development programs.
- ● Live and practice Acera’s core values of community, curiosity, openness, innovation, integrity, and leadership.Qualifications
- ● 3+ years of experience supporting student development (as counselor, social worker, teacher, etc.).
- ● BA / BS degree in social sciences is highly preferred. MSW or other advanced degree in therapy or psychology related field is nice to have but not required.
- ● Ability to facilitate and support student groups to work through conflict, maintain a culture of mutual respect, and make plans and next steps to learn and evolve.
- ● Experience coordinating across staff members, as a team member and/or team leader.
- ● Ability to scan complicated social and community gatherings, and dive in and offer support asneeded.
- ● See challenges as opportunities for invention. Positive, the “glass is half full” orientation. Enableothers to reframe their distress – see challenges as opportunities.
- ● Excellent organization, follow through, documentation, and project management skills inwritten and verbal formats.
- ● A bring-it-on, can-do, let’s make it happen, whatever it takes attitude to support our programs,our teachers, our parents, and our students!Term & Anticipated Start Date
Full-time, exempt, school-year position. Start date as desired, by August 22, 2022.
Salary & Benefits
- ● Paid federal/state holidays plus school-year breaks.
- ● Health, dental and vision benefits available, SIMPLE IRA.
- ● Free after-school and summer programs for children of eligible employees.Working Conditions
● Prolonged periods standing and walking throughout school, classroom, and campus, including climbing stairs.
- ● Must be able to assist students who have physical difficulties.
- ● Must be able to kneel, sit, stand, crawl, push, and pull to assist and teach children throughoutthe day.
- ● Must be able to traverse the space and adjust one’s tone and height, by bending or leaning, inorder to teach each child.
- ● Prolonged periods sitting and working on computer to complete necessary planning,paperwork, etc.
- ● Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.Equal Opportunity EmployerAcera is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Conditions of Offer
You must provide documentation of a completed COVID vaccination series.
All offers of employment are contingent upon CORI, SORI, and fingerprint-based background checks, as required by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), our company is required to verify the identity and work authorization of all newly hired employees. Therefore, if you accept this position, you will be required to complete a Form I-9 upon hire. Within 3 days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation (as noted on the Form I-9) of your identity and work authorization.
Please submit the following to email@example.com:
- ● cover letter
- ● resume
- ● personal statement of educational philosophy that includes your beliefs about counseling andintervention
- ● salary expectationsMay 2022