Residence Director (Summer 2023)
EXPLO, Norwood, MA
We’re looking for compassionate, thoughtful leaders to mentor our Student Advisors, communicate with our students’ caregivers, and support an inclusive, safe, and joyful campus community.
EXPLO is a mission-driven, educational non-profit with more than 85,000 student alumni who hail from 90 countries. We offer residential summer programs for students in grades 4 through 12 on three of the most beautiful college campuses on the East Coast of the U.S. We strive to build a collaborative, transdisciplinary learning environment at our programs, where students drive their own learning through exploration.
For many, EXPLO is a life-changing experience. Our students sometimes describe it as the place where they feel like the truest version of themselves. As an organization, we believe learning should be joyful and create experiences with engagement, inclusion, and magic as first principles. Each summer we share these experiences with smart and curious students from all over the world.
Residence Directors are members of the Office of Student Life, the summer team charged with creating community on campus and ensuring that students have a safe and wonderful experience while at the Program. Residence Directors (RDs) work in pairs to oversee all aspects of dorm and student life, including student conduct, discipline, health, and safety. RDs supervise and provide support for Student Advisors as they mentor their student advising groups. RDs spend a significant amount of time communicating with caregivers, both via email and on the phone, regarding student experiences at the program.
Residence Director responsibilities
- Supervise, advise, support, and provide regular performance feedback sessions with a group of Advisors
- Establish and maintain a healthy, safe, and engaging living environment for students
- Communicate proactively with caregivers to share student experiences, challenges, and progress
- Partner with caregivers of students to support their child when the need arises
- Effectively and justly respond to student behaviors and actions when they are not aligned with community expectations
- Take a leadership role in all aspects of the Summer Program, including trips, activities, electives, and Evening Events
- Assist the Dean and Assistant Dean(s) with the coordination, planning, and implementation of student life initiatives
- Assist the Office of Student Life with operational tasks such as handling student mail, serving as a liaison between the program and maintenance staff, or ensuring that student birthdays are celebrated
- Chaperone afternoon, evening, and weekend trips off-campus
- Supporting with operational and programmatic tasks as needed, which may include assisting with event set up, working individually and as a team to complete tasks on campus that are necessary to program function, and performing additional duties as they may be assigned to you
EXPLO offers summer enrichment programs and runs this summer from June 18th to August 6th, 2023. This role is available at:
- EXPLO Junior, for students in grades 4-7 on the campus of Regis College in Weston, MA.
- EXPLO Senior, for students in grades 8-9 on the campus of Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, NY.
- EXPLO Pre-College, for students in grades 10-12 on the campus of Wellesley College in Wellesley, MA.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Availability to work on campus for the duration of the summer program
Ideally, you’ve also got:
- At least one year of residential life experience or teaching experience
- Some experience with kids and/or adolescents
- Some experience in a leadership role of an organization
Compensation + Benefits
This is a seven week, seasonal position that begins in mid-June 2023. Compensation for this role starts at $6,400 plus room and board. For the health and safety of our community, EXPLO requires all employees and new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Other benefits include:
- Room and board for the duration of 7-week program including all meals
- Staff-only affinity spaces and other professional support and development opportunities
- Access to a gym and other exercise equipment and spaces
- A week-long, hands-on Orientation and job training
- Best in the industry staff to student ratios
- Daily time off that typically includes every other night off and one weekend day per weekend off
- Openness to working with your college or university to support internship or practicum credit for your EXPLO work
Interested in learning more? You can start the conversation by clicking here. You can learn more about other positions, the application process, or read about former EXPLO faculty at our Faculty Hiring website or by contacting us at 781-762-7400 or email@example.com.
EXPLO is an equal opportunity employer. We have a clear vision: to be an organization that attracts a diverse mix of talented people to come and do their best work. We are building a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
EXPLO, as a part of the Exploration School, does not discriminate on the basis of physical handicap, sex, race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, or national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions, scholarships, or other social programs. It affords all students the rights and privileges that are generally made available at the School.