Research & Design Team Lead & Engineering Teacher
Beaver Country Day School, Chestnut Hill, MA
Beaver Country Day School—an independent day school located just outside of Boston, serving grades 6-12—seeks a creative, innovative, and forward-thinking Research & Design Team Lead & Engineering Teacher. This is a full-time position for the 2021-2022 school year.
About Our School & Our People:
We are not your typical independent school. Education is not traditionally seen as forward-thinking. But that’s not the case at Beaver. We welcome change and seek feedback to continuously improve. Our “Launch, Test, Refine” mindset promotes flexibility, risk-taking, open-mindedness, and innovation. Our business is providing a future-focused education rooted in real world context and experience and our clients are our students.
The Beaver mindset and approach to teaching place our students at the center of learning experiences in all settings, curricular and co-curricular.
- Our students in grades 6-12 are interesting and passionate individuals, who, above all, are genuinely happy to be at Beaver. We provide students with opportunities to be co-creators of their learning, making it a deeper, more meaningful experience. We are committed to providing an educational environment in tune with the real world and doing authentic work.
- Our teachers and educational leaders are committed to—and excited about— expanding the nature of school, and igniting and fueling the passions of all our students.
- Our mindset is to make excellent mistakes, launch/test/refine, and not be defined by binary thinking. Instead, we look to approach things from a both/and outlook: tradeoffs don’t have to be the answer and instead, that’s where creativity comes in. We are a community of creative thinkers and doers.
- Our values include collaboration, partnership, and above all, creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for our community. This work is a priority and steadfast commitment. It is never “done”, and we will always make decisions with this at the core of who we are. For all Beaver students to feel a sense of belonging, it’s important that they see themselves reflected in the community, curriculum, and all our programming.
- Our goal every day is to create a school that is making an impact – for our students, and for education as a whole. We don’t take that work lightly, we need people that are relentlessly committed to it and excited to do this work—together.
About the Position:
Beaver Country Day School is a comfortable place for a constructionist pedagogy to thrive. We’re looking for someone to join an energetic and constantly evolving environment in a role that will support both students and teachers.
- Teach foundation and advanced engineering classes
- Support teachers and students around R+D projects
- Lead upper school RoboStudio afternoon program
- Lead middle school Make, Create, Robot afternoon program
- Advise upper school Robosub team
- Facilitate weekly upper school DesiGnLab activities
- Facilitate monthly middle school Make, Create, Robot activities
- Provide training on various Design Level tools
- Coordinate with the rest of the R+D team around various events and initiatives
- Manage inventory and ordering of R+D supplies
Applicants for this flexible position will have experience in as many of the following areas as possible:
- Maker tools: laser cutter, 3D printer, Arduino, large-format printer, paper cutter, woodshop tools (drill press, CNC router, etc.)
- CAD software (Fusion, OnShape, etc.).
- Electronics (Arduino, breadboarding, Circuit Playground, etc.)
- Programming (p5.js, MakeCode, Python, etc.)
The following characteristics will benefit applicants for this position:
- Experience with instructional design and faculty coaching
- Experience teaching grades 6-12
- Comfort with new and unfamiliar technologies
- A “big picture” mindset
- Love of collaboration
- Flexible approach
- Willingness to learn new things
Additional things to know:
- We take cleaning and building safety seriously. You can feel confident in an attentive and flexible model of work that prioritizes our community health at every step.
- Generous Benefits (Health, Dental and more). For more information visit our website.
- Breakfast and lunch provided, as well as coffee and snacks.
- Free parking and close to the MBTA Green Line D.