Research and Instructional Design Librarian
Phillips Academy, Andover, MA
The Oliver Wendell Holmes Library at Phillips Academy Andover seeks a personable, energetic, creative, and self-directed individual to become a member of our Instructional Librarian Team. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with colleagues to improve instruction and reference services, enhance student learning in traditional and online environments, and maintain subject collections in assigned liaison areas. This position will also serve as one of the library liaisons to the History and Social Sciences Department.
The successful candidate will:
- Participate in and lead the Library’s instruction program, which includes planning, teaching, and assessing teacher-requested instruction sessions.
- Provide reference and research assistance to the community.
- Create and maintain online instructional materials and content for the OWHL’s online presence.
- Plan and develop outreach initiatives including but not limited to: displays, workshops, programs, and community engagement activities.
- Identify and select materials for purchase in given subject areas.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Master’s degree in one of the following disciplines from an accredited institution: library and/or information science, history, or social science.
- Three to five years of experience in, and enthusiasm for, developing and teaching effective library instruction sessions and curricula.
- Ability to communicate about current information and emerging technologies.
- Current experience in providing reference services and conducting one-on-one reference interviews.
- Knowledge of major databases used in an academic environment.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Availability to work weeknights and weekends.
- Previous experience with Springshare.
- Strong applicants will also have experience working with teens and have an understanding of their mindset, academic needs, and interests.
If interested, please complete and application and include a resume and cover letter outlining your interest in this position. Applications will be reviewed starting on August 1, 2022.
As the COVID-19 pandemic persists, our top priority is safety. Accordingly, the Academy will require, subject to disability and religious accommodation exceptions under federal and state law, that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This includes the Covid-19 Booster by February 1, 2022 or 5 months after completing the primary vaccination series with Pfizer or Moderna, or 2 months after receiving the J&J/Janssen vaccination.
Phillips Academy is an equal opportunity employer. Phillips Academy is an intentionally diverse and inclusive residential community “committed to creating an equitable and inclusive school in which students from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences—including race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, socioeconomic class, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, and ability—learn and grow together.” The ideal candidate supports the inclusive and diverse nature of the community. Any offers of employment will be contingent upon successful CORI/SORI and fingerprinting background checks as well as unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.