Reading Teacher (Senior Kindergarten)
The Meadowbrook School of Weston, Weston, MA
The Meadowbrook School of Weston, a junior kindergarten through 8th grade school located in Weston, MA, seven miles west of Boston, is seeking a part-time Reading Teacher in our Senior Kindergarten (SK) class. The role will be approx. 0.15 FTE through the remainder of the 2022-2023 academic year.
At Meadowbrook, smart, passionate people join together in an expansive learning environment with rigorous academics and innovative curricula to inspire, challenge, and empower students to achieve at the highest level, connect deeply with a diverse community, and courageously create change. Meadowbrook is a mission-driven school and we invite candidates to familiarize themselves with our mission before applying for the position.
The SK Reading Teacher will be an integral part of the student support services team. Candidates will have an understanding of literacy development and demonstrated background in working with students on phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. Candidates should also understand the social emotional development of their students and a high level of cultural competency. Strong oral and written communication as well as organization and time management skills. and relationship building skills, flexibility, and collegiality in promoting a healthy and stimulating relationship are essential.
- Provide reading instruction to a small group (6-8) of kindergarten students
- Work collaboratively with SK teaching team to plan effective lessons and provide differentiated instruction to students in the reading group
- Conduct both formal and informal observations of students reading development
- Maintaining complete and accurate records that are reflective of a student’s performance and reading development.
- Re-teach, reinforce, and/or consolidate specific reading skills or concepts with students
- Provide accelerated reading instruction and enrichment as needed
- Communicate on a regular basis with SK teaching team, Head of Lower School, Director of Student Support and families regarding student performance and needs
- Attend weekly team meetings (via Zoom if needed)
- Write thorough and individualized reports on each student’s progress twice a year
- Attend parent teacher conferences twice a year
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ+ educators, or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Meadowbrook.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. early education, reading/literacy specialist) preferred
- At least two years of K-2 teaching experience
- Specialized knowledge in early literacy, including scientifically-based reading research, multi-sensory teaching methodologies and best practices
- Positive attitude and ability to work in a team/co-teaching environment
- Knowledge of reading and writing workshop, experience with systematic phonics instruction, and/or experience with a research-based literacy intervention programs such as Orton-Gillingham, Wilson, Lindamood-Bell, or similar