Esperanza Academy, Lawrence, MA
ABOUT ESPERANZA ACADEMY: At Esperanza Academy, we are fortunate to serve our students, their families, and the community of Lawrence. We are a tuition-free independent middle school with a 12-year commitment to our students because we believe that everyone deserves a high-quality independent school education. Our school is a revolutionary antidote to racism; we, as an academic community, emphasize racial and cultural identity affirmation, love of community, and restorative justice. By creating a culture of achievement in which academic success and self-discovery are paramount, we protect and nurture the innate confidence that each of our girls possesses. We accomplish this by being a restorative justice school that believes that relationships must come first. We believe that it is critical to center the lived experiences and cultural backgrounds of our families and to create a program that honors each of our students and the depth of beauty in their cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Esperanza offers its academic program September to June and in the month of July.
POSITION SUMMARY: Esperanza Academy Project Specialist reports to the School Principal and is responsible for monitoring and enhancing the quality of our school community. The Project Specialist helps to foster a positive, engaging, and caring atmosphere, and a healthy school community by providing programming and leadership opportunities that enable students to flourish. The Project Specialist proactively and effectively communicates with parents, works closely with the school community, and collaborates with our community partners. Daily hours are Monday through Thursday 10:30 am to 6:00 pm; Friday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
- Promote a positive school climate
- Establish rapport with all students
- Work collaboratively with the school principal to support students and families
- Provide student support during scheduled Advisory and after school enrichment programs
- Develops meaningful relationships with community partners to enhance our after school enrichment programs
- Support the principal and actively participate in our parent group (Cafecitos de Esperanza), leading efforts and scheduling regular meetings
- Develop and implement ongoing student programming that is both fun and builds community
- Communicate effectively and proactively with parents regarding upcoming student programming and events
- Utilize the Remind App to communicate with parents and promote school activities.
- Oversee service-learning projects and activities
- Help plan and chaperone school student events
- Collaborate with the Student Life Committee to manage the selection process and oversee student-created clubs
- Updates families and the school community about school calendar events
- Monitor student attendance and contact home to follow up on extended absence
- Act as the point person for students on a leave or with restricted attendance (i.e. partial days due to medical issues)
- Coordinate efforts with Advisors, Office Manager, and Teachers
- Communicate clearly and in a timely fashion, both verbally and in writing, with students, parents, and school staff regarding any after school events concerns or joys
Other duties and projects as assigned by the School Principal.
- Leadership experience preferred; school classroom experience preferred
- Flexible teaching background
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Experience with Student Advisory programs
- Ability to make decisions aligned with the mission and vision of the school
- Ability to use data in the decision-making process
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize
- Ability to collaborate and work well with all faculty, staff, students, and parents
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English and Spanish with empathy and precision
- Working knowledge of Jupiter is desired
COMPENSATION: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience. Esperanza Academy offers an attractive benefits package including 403(b), medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, and a comprehensive professional development program. Breakfast, lunch, and two snacks were provided by our executive chef.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter specifically detailing your qualifications for the position, a resume, and contact information for three professional references to Jadi Taveras, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-Discrimination Policy: Esperanza is committed to a diverse and inclusive community with respect to race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, family status, economic circumstance, age, and physical disability in its student body, faculty and staff. Esperanza Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, and athletic and other school-administered programs. Esperanza Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.