Primary School Assistant Teacher
Derby Academy, Hingham, MA
Derby Academy, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 8 co-educational day school located in Hingham, Massachusetts, seeks a Primary School assistant teacher beginning in December 2021. Rooted in the school’s motto, “Improve Both Mind and Heart,” Derby’s Primary School provides students with a joyful and rigorous academic environment. The assistant teacher will support both grade-level lead teachers to deliver developmentally-appropriate instruction in literacy, mathematics, and an integrated science and social studies program, as well as provide classroom management support. The classroom culture is guided by the theory and practice of Responsive Classroom. A collaborative spirit and a growth mindset are essential for success in this role.
Bachelor’s degree in education, demonstrated experience in an early childhood educational setting, excellent written and verbal communication skills, commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, and ongoing engagement in professional development required.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience working with young students and knowledge about early childhood development;
- Have enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to collaborate with colleagues both in the division and across disciplines;
- Provide support for activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, innovation, problem-solving, and the use of technology;
- Have a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the curriculum and the community;
- Contribute to a supportive and caring classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another, through student-centered instruction, collaboration and authentic assessment;
- Possess a growth mindset when it comes to engaging with relevant and mission-driven professional learning for themselves.
A competitive salary and benefits package includes generous funding of professional development.
Derby Academy is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational community and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, color, veteran status, physical ability, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin. Derby Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates may email a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to:
Mary Beth Murphy
Director of the Center for Teaching & Learning
No phone calls, please.