Primary and Lower School Assistant Teacher
Derby Academy, Hingham, MA
Derby Academy, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 8 co-educational day school located in Hingham, Massachusetts, seeks a Primary and Lower School assistant teacher beginning August 2023.
Rooted in the school’s motto, “Improve Both Mind and Heart,” Derby’s Lower School provides students with a joyful and rigorous academic environment. The assistant teacher will support both grade-level head teachers to deliver instruction in literacy, mathematics, and an integrated science and social studies program, as well as provide classroom management support. The classroom culture is guided by the theory and practice of Responsive Classroom. A collaborative spirit and a growth mindset are essential for success in this role.
Bachelor’s degree in education, demonstrated experience in an early childhood educational setting, excellent written and verbal communication skills, commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, and ongoing engagement in professional development required.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- experience working with young students and knowledge about early childhood development;
- flexibility and a desire to collaborate with colleagues both in the division and across disciplines;
- experience providing support for activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, innovation, problem-solving, and the use of technology;
- a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the curriculum and the community;
- contributions to a supportive and caring classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another, through student-centered instruction, collaboration and authentic assessment;
- a growth mindset when it comes to engaging with relevant and mission-driven professional learning for themselves;
- desire to be involved in the school outside of the classroom;
- the ability to consistently exercise discretion and good judgment;
- the leadership qualities to inspire, motivate, and develop students;
- the ability to nurture a deep feeling of community through actions and attitudes.
A competitive salary and benefits package includes generous funding of professional development.
Derby Academy is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational community and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, color, veteran status, physical ability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin or any other state or federally protected classifications. Derby Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Derby Academy values inclusivity and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds or who have experience in cultural competency work to apply.
Interested candidates should submit their application, complete with cover letter, resume, and references by clicking here. No phone calls, please.