The Fessenden School, Newton, MA
The Fessenden School is an all boys independent day and boarding school serving 525 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 9th Grade in West Newton, MA. The Fessenden School’s mission is to cultivate each boy’s talents and develop in balance his character, mind, and body in an inclusive and joyful community. For more than 100 years, The Fessenden School has offered state-of-the-art facilities, curriculum, and programs specifically designed to meet the educational needs of boys.
The Fessenden School’s Lower School seeks a Pre-Kindergarten co-teacher for a self-contained class of 9 boys. The Pre Kindergarten teachers are responsible for teaching math, social studies, language arts, and reading and assisting in the teaching and integration of Spanish, library curriculum and the arts.
- Current school year ends June 14, 2022
- Monday – Friday 7:30am to 4:30pm
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teach and stay current with curriculum for math, social studies, language arts and reading, and 21st-century learning
- Incorporate project-based learning, educational technology, differentiated learning, and cultural competency in lesson
- Partner with other Pre-K teachers to coordinate consistency in curriculum and programs within grade level
- Collaborate and facilitate character education program with Lower School Head
- Coordinate reading program with Learning Resources department
- Exemplify the School’s mission and community principles, including honesty, respect, and compassion
- Participate in and help facilitate all division and grade-level activities
- Collaborate with colleagues within grade level, division, department, and student support services, including the Learning Resources Department
- Perform duties such as supervising drop off and dismissal, recess, lunch; being a homeroom teacher and/or advisor, grade team member, student club facilitator: leading/assisting with fall orientation, grade trips, and events.
- Maintain all documentation connected with the curriculum and students
- Review potential student applicants throughout the year
- Attend faculty meetings; typically on Mondays from 3:00 pm to 4:15pm
- Attend professional development meetings; three 8:30am to 4:00pm and three 3:00pm to 5:00pm
- Maintain regular and reliable attendanceMaintain current CPR/AED & first aid certification and child abuse prevention training
Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education
- Two years of experience in instructing children in an academic program
- Ability to develop and provide differentiated instruction to meet the learning needs of a range of students
- Enthusiasm and communication skills to engage boys and build meaningful relationships
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills to manage and control a classroom
- Ability to perform critical thinking, organization, prioritization, and problem solving with minimal supervision
- Ability to serve in a diverse community of colleagues, students, and parents
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, justice, diversity, and equity
- A commitment to boys and boys’ education
- A proven track record of successful collaboration in a co-teaching environment
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- Master’s degree in early childhood and/or elementary education
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear
- Regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds
Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom environment, and the noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
Every applicant must submit a cover letter, resume, and three references through the Fessenden Career Website. Other pertinent materials, may be submitted as well if desired.