Potential Early Childhood Homeroom Teacher
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Date Posted: January 2022
Starting Date: Fall 2022
Reporting to: Lower School Director
BB&N is potentially seeking a full-time Early Childhood Homeroom teacher. The BB&N Lower School consists of Beginners through Grade 6.
The Early Childhood Homeroom teachers are responsible for teaching English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Social Studies. Responsibilities also include creating and maintaining a positive classroom climate, involvement in curriculum development, evaluating each student’s performance and growth, planning and presenting displays designed to exhibit students’ work for the school community, working closely with other teachers in developing single discipline and interdisciplinary learning experiences, preparing progress reports and conference with families throughout the year, and performing scheduled campus duties. Some additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, leading/co-leading Affinity Lunch, attendance at weekly faculty meetings, ordering of materials, tools, instructional aids, budget management, admissions work, Back to School Night presentation, and any other duties that may be assigned by Administration.
In addition, teachers are expected to be committed to the following practices:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the curriculum and the community.
- Social-emotional learning
- Using the visual arts to expand on the thoughts and ideas of the students.
- Collaboration between adults in our community that evolves and advances practice.
- Documentation and assessment of learning in ways that make the learning visible.
- Understanding of Inquiry based-interdisciplinary research projects and the development of authentic and meaningful experiences that results in exemplary work (a student’s best work) and lifelong learning.
- Organization and use of materials within different disciplines in skilled and inventive ways to deepen learning.
- Installation of organized and aesthetically pleasing learning environments.
The ideal candidate should have a minimum of three years teaching experience at the elementary school level, an understanding of cognitive and social development for children at this age, and a strong knowledge of instruction and assessment practices in Mathematics and English Language Arts. In addition, candidates should be well-versed in interdisciplinary curriculum, project work, and anti-bias curriculum. A master’s degree in elementary education is preferred. In addition, the candidate should demonstrate:
- Joy working with elementary aged students, and an understanding of child-development for this age group
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Knowledge and commitment around diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the classroom climate and curriculum
- A desire to continue seeking professional development
- Excellent writing skill
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues inside and outside of the curriculum
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and families
- Curriculum design and assessment experience
- Ability to receive feedback
- High standards of professional conduct
Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List. Please include your connection to BB&N’s mission and values in your cover letter.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.