Fryeburg Academy, Fryeburg, ME
Position Opening: Physics Teacher
Fryeburg Academy, a 590-student day and boarding high school in Western Maine and the Mount Washington Valley, seeks an innovative physics teacher who prizes hard work and professionalism to assume duties in late August 2022. This full-time position involves teaching physics and other core science classes as needed. Candidates must be very proficient in physics. The job will include Advanced Placement, honors, and regular-level instruction and requires the ability to run a physics lab. The successful candidate will demonstrate the enthusiastic ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, and with a diverse range of academic interests and skills.
Preference will be given to candidates with teaching experience and developed, varied strategies for teaching science. Fryeburg faculty have significant responsibilities connected with the school’s boarding program and extracurricular offerings, including serving as a dorm parent. The Academy is therefore looking for individuals who enjoy working with high school students both in and out of the classroom and who wish, through commitment to a variety of roles, to strengthen its community. Experience working with students outside of the classroom- tutoring, coaching, in a residential or camp setting, or as an activity advisor- is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Dispositions:
- A strong belief in independent education, and particularly the mission of Fryeburg Academy
- Understanding of how students learn and ability to work with, encourage, and inspire students to seek continuous growth
- A flexible willingness to work with students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Outstanding knowledge of subject matter and best pedagogical practices in physics and other science instruction
- Ability and desire to innovate in the classroom
- A desire to work with students both in and out of the classroom. In particular, a willingness to serve as an academic advisor for a group of 10-12 students for their four years of high school, as well as a supervisory dormitory team member
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively while maintaining high professional standards
Qualifying Education and Experience: B.S. in physics or related field; master’s degree preferred.
Interested candidates should submit an application, letter of interest, résumé, college transcripts, and three references to Erin Wentworth, Human Resources Manager (email@example.com).
All Fryeburg Academy employees are subject to Maine Dept. of Education Criminal History Record Check and are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Fryeburg Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.