Physics, Engineering, and Mathematics Teacher – Genuine STEM Curriculum
Meridian Academy, Boston, MA
Meridian Academy is seeking a full-time teacher to teach and co-teach integrated Mathematics/Science/Technology middle and high school classes. While many educational systems are talking about STEM, there are few opportunities to grow as a teacher across these domains. Meridian is experienced at developing and teaching integrated STEM courses. We are seeking a teacher with interest in both pure and applied mathematics, engineering, and science subjects.
Candidates should have experience bringing a broad, intellectual perspective to their work and be excited about the opportunity to work with other STEM teachers to continue to develop our seven-year curriculum. To see a sample of our current course offerings, please visit http://www.meridianacademy.org/math-science-and-technology/.
Meridian is an urban, economically diverse, intentionally small, independent secondary school in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood of Boston, MA. Class sizes are 16 or fewer students.
Meridian’s curriculum is interdisciplinary and project based. Student problem-posing is the starting point for problem-solving and long-term original research and learning. Classes are lengthy to support in-depth investigations.
- Teaching and co-teaching 2 classes (2 preparations). Creating activities that help students develop academic skills, make connections between ideas, master essential knowledge, and grow in their curiosity and creativity.
- Modeling for students what original research is like; mentoring students one-on-one with their research projects.
- Advising students and communicating with their families.
- Developing and implementing methods of assessment that accurately reflect each student’s progress with skills, content, and habits of mind.
- Using the broader resources of Boston and its environs as an extended classroom.
- Preferred: Two or more years teaching mathematics, physics, or engineering at the secondary level.
- A bachelor’s degree in mathematics, physics, engineering, computer science, or a science field with strong mathematics coursework.
- A flexible and energetic personality that can work productively in a changing and growing school environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills when working with diverse students and families. Ability to participate in shared decision-making that invites everyone to contribute to the improvement of the school.
- Experience and/or interest in working with both middle and high school age students.
Salaries are on a scale based on experience and university degrees. Starting salary with a bachelors and no experience is $54,000. Our competitive benefits package includes medical and dental coverage, retirement, exciting professional development opportunities, and much more.
54 Brookside Avenue
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
Meridian Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national or ethnic origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or handicap in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, hiring, and other school-administered programs.