Physical Education Teacher and Middle School Coach
Shore Country Day School, Beverly, MA
SUMMARY: Teaches Pre-K through Grade 5 Physical Education; Coaches middle school athletic teams
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties to be assigned):
- Plan, organize and implement, a developmentally appropriate and sequential, elementary physical education program which promotes sportsmanship and a lifelong love of physical activity
- Coach at least two seasons of intramural and/or interscholastic sports in Grades 6-9
- Provide locker room supervision
- Develop positive relationships with children and their parents
- Develop lessons and keep records of daily lesson plans
- Develop assessments to aid in reporting about student skill development and character to utilize in narratives and parent conferences over the course of the year
- Write narrative reports on students and conduct parent-teacher conferences
- Assess the development and needs of individual children on a regular basis and communicate progress to homeroom teachers, advisors, and parents
- Create a healthy, safe, and multicultural learning environment
- Organize and maintain appropriate supplies and equipment
- Maintain verbal and written communication with parents using a variety of modes including technology
- Participate in pertinent department, division, and all-employee meetings
- Perform necessary duties and implement schedules in collaboration with other faculty
- Plan for professional development, keeping abreast of current research and practices in Physical Education, child development, and equity and justice issues
- Maintain certification in First Aid, CPR, and concussion awareness
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability to perform these essential duties. This list is intended to be illustrative but not exhaustive. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job unless those accommodations would impose an undue hardship on the school.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required
- Master’s degree in Physical Education or similar field preferred
- Experience showing a commitment to working with elementary and middle school children
- Physical education and/or coaching experience at the elementary and middle school level
- Knowledge of current curricular and instructional practice
- Project Adventure training/ Rock climbing experience a plus
- Ability to effectively listen, respond and present information to students, parents, school employees, and the general public
- Ability to project a positive and professional image at all times.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Shows strong organizational skills, takes initiative, demonstrates innovative thinking, demonstrates strong customer skills, demonstrates attention to detail
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job unless these accommodations would impose an undue hardship upon the school.
- The employee has to ascend and descend stairs.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be higher than moderate.
- The employee will need to lift up to 25 lbs. regularly and may need to lift up to 50 lbs. from time to time.
APPLICATION: Interested applicants kindly submit electronic copies of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references to:
Sara Knox, Head of Lower School
Shore Country Day School
545 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The Shore Country Day School (the “School”) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School of ers equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment and all employees without regard sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, military service, application for military service, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. An applicant who does not meet the minimum qualifications of the position(s) for which the applicant applies will not be considered for employment. If you need a reasonable accommodation to complete this application, interview for the position, or otherwise participate in the hiring process, please notify us.