Parent Engagement and Events Coordinator
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: Fall 2022
Department: Advancement Office
Reports to: Chief Advancement Officer
BB&N is seeking a Parent Engagement and Events Coordinator. The Parent Engagement and Events Coordinator is a full-time position responsible for key Advancement events to ensure they are well-planned and well-executed. As part of the Advancement team, this position serves as the School’s liaison to the Parents’ Association.
Key Responsibilities include:
- work closely with the Advancement Office to ensure strong events and parent programs at BB&N.
- responsible for key events such as Ninth Grade Parent Reception, Senior Parent Dinner, Grandfriends’ Day, Leadership Reception, New Parents’ Reception, and Garden Party, and as needed for other events.
- research and select merchandise and novelty items to use as stewardship and thank you gifts.
- work with the President of the PA to establish yearly goals for the Association and meet regularly for updates and strategy sessions.
- assist in the planning and organization of monthly PA Executive Committee meetings, the annual all-school PA meeting, and the end-of-year PA Volunteer Appreciation Reception.
- attend campus PA meetings and other sessions with campus directors as appropriate.
- attend campus activities and informal campus meetings as directed to establish effective working relationships with parents, faculty, and staff.
- provide administrative support for the PA nominating process.
- monitor weekly newsletters for three campuses and reconcile calendar adjustments.
- assist in the preparation of campus training manuals as needed.
- take a leadership role in supporting special PA initiatives – e.g. community-building workshops, community service programs, communications policies/guidelines.
- provide support for, including permitting, the Circus and attend planning meetings.
Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate will have 1-3 years of Events planning. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred. In addition, the ideal candidate will have the following skills, competencies, and experience:
- event planning experience along with that of building a vital core of volunteers.
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and influence volunteers, faculty, staff, and vendors
- Excellent organizational skills including meticulous attention to detail Proactive self-starter, a team member who routinely takes initiative and is accountable
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to articulate the School’s mission and priorities.
- Ability to multitask
- Work within budget constraints and adhere to deadlines
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Event planning experience
- Appreciation and respect for BB&N’s mission “to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The school prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world.”
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols:
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Buckingham Browne & Nichols is a day school that engages students in grades Pre-K through 12 in a rich and invigorating educational experience of the highest quality. The school excels at helping students discover their unique talents and passions and develop those strengths to the fullest. The curriculum is challenging, forward-thinking, innovative, and flexible, designed to help qualified students, from a range of backgrounds and with a wide spectrum of talents and interests, reach new levels of accomplishment. Co-curricular opportunities in athletics, the arts, community service, and other areas add important dimensions to students’ learning. Students learn on three age and developmentally appropriate campuses. At every grade, BB&N takes full advantage of the range of opportunities its locations afford.
BB&N is committed to becoming an anti-racist institution. This commitment is integral to the mission and vision of the School. BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. At BB&N, we value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all. The different perspectives and experiences of our students define the fabric of our community and contribute to the growth of the individuals who call BB&N their alma mater and shape the classroom and extracurricular experiences. To have classmates and friends who are different from oneself, to come to truly know the background, experiences, and beliefs of a new friend is to learn more deeply about oneself and our world. There is no more important attribute in the preparation for global citizenship.
The vibrancy and vitality we feel in the classrooms, hallways, stages and playing fields of BB&N derive from the people who are here. At its root are the varied interests and experiences, the different backgrounds, cultures, religions, views, and perspectives that our students and faculty bring to their classes and families bring to myriad activities. Each of us adds to the richness of another’s experience. Working and playing together teaches us lifelong lessons about appreciating, knowing and understanding, and learning from each other.
Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, and Reference List. Please include your connection to BB&N’s mission and values in your cover letter.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job-related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.