Music Director for Musical Productions
The Cambridge School of Weston, Weston, MA
Date Posted: September 27, 2023 Start Date: March 25, 2023
Description: Exempt part-time faculty position
The Cambridge School of Weston seeks a music director to music direct the spring musical and teach vocal technique and performance to students in grades 9-12. The Theatre Department seeks a candidate with a strong mastery of vocal/singing techniques, the ability to accompany rehearsals and conduct the band, and who can teach a range of skills, learning styles, and interests. We seek candidates who value student-centered, hands-on learning and are supportive of individual students while challenging them to take meaningful, creative risks. Candidates should be able to recognize and appreciate the diverse perspectives of the students they work with and create opportunities to integrate these perspectives in their teaching/directing.
Specific Responsibilities for This Position Include:
- Music direct the large-scale main stage spring Musical Production that rehearses for 12 weeks, from March 25 to June 1.
- Engage in planning meetings, as necessary (remote acceptable)
- Rehearsal begins March 25. Rehearsals are Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 3:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. with some Saturday rehearsal blocks. Two weeks before the production, technical rehearsals will run from 3:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays with a Saturday tech rehearsal from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Perform with and direct the pit band; performances are May 30 at 7:00 p.m., May 31 at 7:00 p.m., and June 1 at 1:00 p.m.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of arts degree or equivalent required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of three years teaching experience preferred
- Strong piano skills; ability to play for rehearsals and production
- Vocal coaching experience
- Professional performance experience.
In addition to these qualifications, our ideal candidate values collaboration and flexibility among colleagues and with students in our vibrant, arts-infused school. Moreover, they need to have the skill and experience to teach creative students with a broad range of learning styles and who come from diverse backgrounds. A strong candidate will also add to the diversity of perspectives within the Theatre Department.
Please email a cover letter, a resume, and the names and contact information of three to five references to: PerformanceSearch@csw.org. Please send pdf files only. No phone calls, please.
Deadline for Application:
Position will remain open until filled.