Music Co-Curricular Teacher
Birches School, Lincoln, MA
Birches is seeking an enthusiastic and collaborative part-time music teacher for grades 4-8. The ideal candidate loves teaching music and understands how to engage upper elementary and middle school students. They/she/he helps students develop knowledge and skills in technical, artistic, and performance development. Interest in drama and creating student performances is a plus.
Birches seeks faculty who demonstrate an interest in participating fully in the life and activities of a highly engaging elementary and middle school and contributing to the development of the program beyond standard teaching responsibilities. The ideal candidate demonstrates flexibility, positivity, an eagerness to grow and learn, a passion for the philosophy of the School, and enthusiasm for teaching music and culture through a global perspective.
- Teach music classes to 4th-8th graders, including voice and instrumental instruction
- Prepare motivating and engaging lessons that reflect content knowledge, child development, and student interests and abilities
- Employ a variety of teaching methods and positive classroom management techniques to engage different learning styles and ability levels
- Prepare and maintain necessary materials, equipment, and instruments
- Lead community singing at weekly All School Assemblies
- Lead a weekly Explorations project block class for mixed-age groups of 2nd-8th graders
- Participate in Birches community events (Curriculum Night, concerts, open houses)
- Take on other work-related duties as needed (lunch duty, recess, homeroom coverage, special event programming, etc)
- Contribute to Progress Reports and provide evaluation of student performance
- Meet and plan with core classroom teachers as needed
- Attend all-staff meetings (approximate frequency – once monthly) and participate in professional development activities
- Participate in cohesive curriculum development and integrate classroom thematic unit topics into music curriculum, when appropriate
Birches School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Birches School welcomes candidates who would add to the racial, cultural and gender balance of the School community. A classroom teaching position is physically demanding and qualified candidates will need to exhibit appropriate abilities. Appropriate accommodations can be made where necessary.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume as a PDF, along with other supporting material in common formats, to firstname.lastname@example.org.