MS Humanities (Language Arts/Social Studies)
Friends Academy, Dartmouth, MA
Friends Academy is a small, progressive EC-8 school of 240 students on the South Coast of Massachusetts. We are known for having a strong sense of community that balances academics, arts, social and emotional learning, athletics, and outdoor activities.
We are looking for a Humanities (language art/social studies) teacher for the 2023-24 academic school year to join our Middle School team. This role will include teaching four sections (likely Grades 7 and 8), advising a group of students, and other assigned duties. Stipends are available for those who support after-school activities.
We seek a dedicated educator who believes in collaboration and understands the importance of relationship-building when helping students find success. We value teachers who are creative and embrace inquiry and project-based learning. We use Google and Blackbaud platforms and other assistive technologies to meet our students’ varied needs.
The ideal candidate would
- Promote responsible citizenship and respect for diversity and differences
- Have a passion for middle school and an understanding of the unique characteristics of middle school students
- Have previous experience working with children
- Serve as a role model for students and demonstrate a commitment to our school’s mission
- Design, implement, and creatively deliver the curriculum with an ability to differentiate lessons to meet the diverse needs of learners.
- Have a positive outlook on the world and opportunities for young people
- Desire to contribute to something larger than oneself and have a deep-seated belief in the power of teamwork
- Assess student learning with qualitative and quantitative assessment tools
- Communicate with families on a regular basis, acting as a point of contact regarding a student’s academic, social, and emotional functioning
- Be dedicated to social-emotional learning and positive discipline practices
- Collaborate with grade teams and departments to create an integrated academic program for our students
- Maintain a sense of humor, positivity, and warmth.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Commitment to a growth mindset and professional development
- Act as a guide for students as an advisor [or Homeroom Teacher]
- Dedication to teaching and learning in a school community committed to equity and inclusion.
- Comply with the guidelines of the Friend’s Academy Faculty and Staff Handbook