Modern Language Teacher (French/Spanish)
Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, NH
The Modern Language Department is seeking a full-time French/Spanish language and literature teacher beginning in the 2023 academic year.
Applicants must submit a cover letter addressing relevant experience working with teenagers and young adults, a separate statement of teaching philosophy which includes issues around DEI in the classroom, and a current resume/C.V.
- Teach all levels of the target languages, and their respective literatures and cultures
- Instruct through discussion and explanations in the target language
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units and projects and communicate those objectives to students
- Prepare, administer and grade tests and assignments
- Prepare materials and activities for all classes
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students’ varying needs and interests
- Maintain accurate and complete student records
- Oversee and evaluate students’ performance
- Enforce all administration policies and rules governing students
- Maintain continuity and consistency in the Modern Language curriculum, follow departmental guidelines for content and assessment, and meet with the mentor and/or the chair of the department to discuss student experience and progress
- Use basic Microsoft applications and LMS
- Respect diversity of identities and experiences with an orientation toward equity, inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life
While individual responsibilities will vary from one faculty position to another, the major job duties of all faculty members include the following:
- Teaching: Faculty teach four classes per trimester. All classes are student-centered discussions around a Harkness table. In order to meet the intellectual needs of the school’s talented and highly motivated students, teachers are expected to be dedicated to daily preparation for the best possible classes.
- Cultural Competency: Faculty are expected to demonstrate respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of Academy life.
- Residential Life: Faculty generally reside in campus housing and play a critical role in cultivating Exeter’s community-centered student dormitory life. Each faculty member is generally responsible for one weekend a month and one to two week-nights of dormitory duty per week, depending on the dormitory size.
- Advising: Faculty are expected to serve as mentors to student advisees throughout students’ time at Exeter. The adviser is the main liaison between an advisee’s family/guardian and the Academy.
- Extracurricular Activities: Faculty are generally expected to participate in the school’s extracurricular activities (e.g. coaching, advising student clubs, and/or committee work).
- BA in French and Spanish Language and Literature, advanced degree in either language preferred
- A minimum of three to five years of full time teaching experience
- Native or near-native fluency in French and Spanish is required
- Criminal background check
- Driving Record Check
- COVID Vaccine Policy: Phillips Exeter Academy requires all community members without a medical or religious exemption to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up to date with COVID-19 vaccine boosters.