Middle School Teacher
Derby Academy, Hingham, MA
Middle School Teacher (Grades 4-5)
Derby Academy, a Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 8 co-educational day school located in Hingham, Massachusetts, seeks a Middle School teacher (Grades 4-5) beginning in August 2022. Rooted in the school’s motto, “Improve Both Mind and Heart,” Derby’s Middle School provides students with a joyful and rigorous academic environment. A Middle School teacher will work with grade-level colleagues to deliver instruction in language arts, social studies, and an integrated science program. In addition, the teacher will serve as a homeroom teacher responsible for the social emotional health and development of their students.
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education, teaching experience, excellent written and verbal communication skills, experience and commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, ongoing engagement in professional development, and deep understanding of content areas and middle childhood required.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- a deep understanding of middle school students;
- middle school/upper elementary teaching experience;
- enthusiasm, flexibility, and a desire to collaborate with colleagues both on a grade level, department level and across disciplines;
- desire to develop curriculum that focuses on authentic, real-world application of learning;
- experience with and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact they have on the curriculum and the community;
- the ability to create activities and opportunities that encourage curiosity, exploration, innovation, problem-solving, and the use of technology;
- success in creating a supportive and inclusive classroom environment in which students can learn and interact positively with one another through student-centered instruction, collaboration and authentic assessment;
- success in communicating with parents to provide timely and appropriate feedback regarding student progress;
- a growth mindset when it comes to engaging with relevant and mission-driven professional learning to grow their practice.
A competitive salary and benefits package includes generous funding of professional development.
Derby Academy is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational community and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, color, veteran status, physical ability, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin or any other state or federally protected classifications. Derby Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
Derby Academy values inclusivity and encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds or who have experience in cultural competency work to apply.
Interested candidates may email a letter of interest, resume, and three references to:
Mary Beth Murphy
Director of the Center for Teaching & Learning
No phone calls, please.