Middle School Social Worker
JCDS, Boston’s Jewish Community Day School, Watertown, MA
Middle School Social Worker
JCDS, Boston’s Jewish Community Day School, is committed to serving families across a wide spectrum of beliefs and practices. The school has several hallmarks: Hebrew and English spoken throughout the day; Jewish and General studies integrated into many areas; a commitment to creative, academic excellence; and living a joyful Jewish life in a welcoming community. JCDS was founded in 1995 and serves students in grades K-8. We encourage everyone in our community to approach life with a growth mindset. We value our professional staff and invest in their ongoing development. Our professional community is rooted in collaboration, generosity of spirit, and a passion for our mission. JCDS is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees without regard to race, color, religious creed, national and ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical disability.
A JCDS Social Worker models the core values of a JCDS education: integrity, perseverance/resiliency, curiosity, multiple perspectives/empathy, problem-solving, reflection, and evidence, and creates a student-centered, rigorous, project-based learning environment for students.
A Social Worker at JCDS is part of the Support Services Department, reporting to the Director of Support Services. The JCDS Social Worker is a trained mental health professional with a degree in Social Work who provides services related to a student’s socioemotional health and adjustment to school. This educator provides direct as well as indirect services to students, families, and school personnel to promote and support students’ academic and social success. The JCDS Social Worker does not provide services intended to take the place of outside individual or group therapy. The caseload of the Social Worker changes with the needs of our students in Middle School (5-8), primarily serving students through individual counseling sessions as well as promoting the overall socioemotional health of our community. Ideal candidates possess a strong background in social work, are skilled at applying innovative approaches with students, and are steeped in socioemotional development. Candidates for this position should demonstrate a passion for working with children as well as a deep understanding of how to meet the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical development of children in grades 5-8. The candidate should possess excellent communication, organization, and class management skills and should demonstrate a desire to work collaboratively with grade-level team colleagues to create a joyful, Jewish learning community.
- Primarily, the JCDS Social Worker provides direct services to students to promote socioemotional health and successful adjustment to the school environment.
- Participates in special education assessment meetings as well as Support Plan design and implementation
- Provides support with home life challenges that affect a student’s socioemotional well-being in school.
- Provides one-on-one or group counseling as deemed appropriate
- Works with Director of Support Services in mobilizing family, school, and community resources to support children’s ability to learn as effectively as possible in his or her educational program
- Assists in developing and implementing positive behavioral intervention strategies
- Partners with faculty and staff to support implementation of socioemotional and behavioral strategies
- Communicates directly with teachers and the Support Services Department regarding student progress and/or changes in strategies to be implemented for student socioemotional health
- Communicates directly with families to provide updates regarding student progress within the specific area being addressed by the Social Worker
- Attends weekly Support Services meetings;
- Attends grade level team meetings;
- Responsible for identifying individual goals for each student within caseload;
- Responsible for writing summary reports for each student on caseload 2x yearly;
- Responsible for documenting all communication with families, and sharing documentation with the Director of Support Services;
- Responsible for disseminating all communication regarding individual students with classroom teachers and Support Services Department;
- Responsible for directing all communication regarding global learning concerns to the Director of Support Services, and overall curriculum concerns to the Director of Learning and Teaching in writing;
- May attend IEP meetings of individual students with classroom teachers if needed;
- Attends parent-teacher conferences when necessary
- Deep socioemotional development knowledge;
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues;
- Experienced in providing services related to a student’s socioemotional health and adjustment to school;
- Skilled in fostering social worker-student and social worker-parent relationships.
- Ability to support the creation of a joyful, Jewish learning environment;
- Ability to integrate multicultural perspectives into work;
- Ability to joyfully engage children, and to identify and address student needs;
- Commitment to ongoing professional development
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, placing the title of Part-Time Social Worker in the subject line.
JCDS is a pluralist co-educational Jewish day school serving students from families across a wide spectrum of Jewish beliefs and practices. Visit our website at jcdsboston.org for more information.
JCDS is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity for all employees without regard to race, color, religious creed, national and ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, or physical disability.