Middle School Science Teacher
The Rashi School, Dedham, MA
The Rashi School is the Boston-area K-8 Reform Jewish independent school. In our warm and inclusive community, children are appreciated for who they are as they learn and develop their identities. With the school’s foundation of rigorous academics and differentiated instruction and a mission rooted in social justice, we want our students to ask the tough questions—not just the who, what, where, but the how, why, and what can I do to fix it? Rashi graduates have the confidence to try new things and to fail forward. With kindness at their core, they become change agents in the school and beyond.
The Rashi Middle School seeks to promote students’ academic, social, and emotional growth by nurturing an environment that promotes risk taking, flexibility, adaptability, empathy and resilience. We are looking for educators with a history of positive, caring student-teacher interactions, rich content expertise, and student-centered approaches to join a team of exceptional faculty who utilize a strength based approach to empower students to be their best selves in and out of the classroom.
We are seeking a knowledgeable, inspiring, collaborative and dynamic science teacher for our Middle School. Each grade uses an essential question that connects the multiple science disciplines, as well as creates connections with other disciplines. Our classes are student centered, active, and are a mixture of student-led labs, projects, modeling, simulations, debates, and presentations. Students use claim-evidence-reasoning tools and are empowered to be critical and analytical thinkers. Successful candidates will engage students through modern pedagogy and skills-based approaches intended to develop strong scientific thinking and design thinking skills.
All teachers and leaders at Rashi encourage and model interdisciplinary thinking, finding touch points within their subjects, or within disciplines and relating them back to the yearly Essential Question. Teachers develop students’ reading and writing skills, focusing on reasoning, the use of evidence, and the foundational skills of effective writing and communication. In class discussions, teachers foster an environment where students actively engage with their own and their peers’ ideas and questions in a thoughtful, academic, and respectful manner. Students practice debate, discussion and presentation skills through their coursework, and are offered choice and voice through project based learning and gamification. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and at least 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cultivate and maintain a healthy and trusting learning environment, encouraging and nurturing relationships with students
- Guide students in their social-emotional development and in their ability to establish positive and rewarding relationships
- Teach 2 sections of grade 7 (space science, physics and chemistry) and 2 sections of grade 8 science (human body, evolution, genetics and heredity)
- Lead a Middle School Advisory and participate in all areas of Middle School life.
- Work collaboratively with the colleagues, the Middle School Learning Specialist, and Middle School Dean of Students and the Head of Middle School to support and challenge all learners that you teach
- Communicate with families in positive and professional ways including email, phone calls, meetings and parent-teacher conferences.
- Write report cards twice a year and high school recommendations
- Meaningfully integrate technologies into the classroom
- Attend relevant meetings during the school day and faculty meetings on Wednesdays after school.
- Share duties (recess, lunch, etc.) set by the Head of Middle School
- Participating in other aspects of school life as determined by the Head of Middle School and/or Head of School.
- Continuous learner
- Open to feedback
- Strong communicator
- Demonstrates joy working with middle school students
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Belief in Rashi’s Mission and Core Values
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or related field required. Master’s degree in Science or related fields preferred.
- 5 to 7 years experience teaching, preferably with Middle School students.
- Able to sit, type, twist, bend, use telephone and computers.