Middle School Mathematics Teacher
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: August 2023
Department: Middle School
BB&N is seeking a full-time Middle School Mathematics Teacher. The BB&N Middle School consists of Grades 7 & 8. Responsibilities include teaching 3-4 classes across both grades, working in our co-curricular/Advisory program, and additional responsibilities including coaching and/or supporting the athletic program as well as contributing to current program needs.
BB&N seeks a candidate who can:
- normalize mistakes as a natural part of the process of learning math
- ensure that all voices have an opportunity to be heard, not just the fastest or loudest
- foster curiosity about why mathematical rules are true
- encourage students to consider multiple problem-solving methods
- develop students’ mathematical communication skills with words, diagrams, and symbolic notation
- empower students to test for themselves if their conclusions are reasonable and correct
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate will have a degree in mathematics or math education. A bachelor’s degree is required. While a master’s degree in math education and at least four years of experience teaching math at the middle school level is preferred, we understand that not every great teacher’s path to teaching is a straight line.
In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Dedication to working with and an understanding of the developmental needs of middle school-aged students
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive community and promoting a growth mindset
- Capacity to communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Collaboration as a team member
Essential Functions and Key Objectives:
- Plans and develops an engaging, age-appropriate course of study in the classroom, adhering to educational best practices and state and school district curriculum guidelines.
- Designs and delivers individual lesson plans in one or more academic, technical, or vocational subjects using a variety of teaching techniques and appealing to various learning styles.
- Prepares materials for lessons, assignments, and tests; evaluates, corrects, and grades student performance.
- Discusses academic difficulties or behavioral problems with students as they arise.
- Monitors students’ progress throughout the year and evaluates preparedness for graduation, vocational school, or college, as appropriate.
- Communicates progress and concerns with tact and professionalism to parents and, as appropriate, other faculty, staff, and/or principal.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with parents, students, and colleagues.
- Enforces safety and security standards for students, staff, and visitors.
- Maintains required paperwork for individual student files, attendance and incident reports, and other necessary records.
- Monitors halls, study periods, and lunchrooms with other faculty and staff.
- Participates in faculty meetings, educational conferences, in-service opportunities, workshops, and other training seminars.
- Maintains knowledge of research, developments, and best practices in secondary education.
- Performs related tasks such as sponsoring student activities or organizations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Salary: $67,000.00 – $97,400.00
BB&N offers competitive salaries and benefits and employs equitable and consistent compensation practices. Our compensation strategy prioritizes equity of pay for faculty with similar years of teaching and other related experience. Starting salaries for the 2023-2024 school year typically range from a starting salary of $67,000 to the median 20 year teaching experience salary of $97,400. Both of these salaries are exclusive of additional compensation granted to faculty with relevant advanced degrees. The starting salary for any hired candidate is based on experience within salary bands.
Compensation for full-time employees includes a 403(b) plan with up to a 10% match of salary and other competitive benefits offerings. Benefits offered to eligible employees include health & dental insurance; commuter benefits; long-term disability insurance, and more.
Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.