Middle School Learning Specialist
The Rashi School, Dedham, MA
The Rashi School, the Boston Area’s Reform Jewish Independent School, serving students in grades Pre-K-8 seeks a Middle School Learning Specialist for the 2023-2024 school year. Reporting to the Director of Student Support, the Middle School Learning Specialist will join a high functioning Learning Team that works collaboratively with faculty to support and challenge all learners. In our warm and inclusive community, children are appreciated for who they are as they learn and develop their identities. With the school’s foundation of rigorous academics and differentiated instruction and a mission rooted in social justice, we want our students to ask the tough questions—not just the who, what, where, but the how, why, and what can I do to fix it? Rashi graduates have the confidence to try new things and to fail forward. With kindness at their core, they become empowered learners, change agents, global Jewish citizens, and good friends.
Rashi’s Middle School seeks to promote students’ academic, social, and emotional growth by nurturing an environment that promotes risk taking, flexibility, adaptability, empathy and resilience. We are looking for educators with a history of positive, caring student-teacher interactions, rich content expertise, and student-centered approaches to join a team of exceptional faculty who utilize a strength based approach to empower students to be their best selves in and out of the classroom. We seek to employ faculty and staff with diverse backgrounds who model our core values (respect, learning, community, spirit and justice) for our students and are eager to support Rashi in fulfilling its mission.
- Teach Organizational Skills (academic support classes) of 6-8 students in Grades 6-8.
- Work with students, as needed, during lunch, recess, and study hall.
- Meet with Jewish Studies, Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science teachers in Grades 6-8 to provide consultation in order to ensure proper accommodations and modifications.
- Lead weekly Grade Level Meetings to discuss students.
- Collect data and present at Learning Team meetings.
- Attend IEP and 504 meetings and advocate for Rashi students at their local public schools.
- Review educational testing and make recommendations for accommodations.
- Proctor an accommodation room during ERB standardized testing.
- Communicate with parents about student progress.
- Participate in all areas of Middle School life.
- Participate in Parent-Teacher Conferences.
- Attend weekly faculty meetings.
- Continuous learner
- Open to feedback
- Strong communicator
- Active listener
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Belief in Rashi’s Mission and Core Values
- Masters degree in Education, focus on Special Education.
- 3-5 years teaching experience as a learning specialist or special educator, preferably at the middle school level.
- Experience working with students who have language-based learning disabilities and/or weak executive functioning skills.
- Strong background in differentiating curriculum and assistive technology.
- Passion for advocating for students.
- Able to sit, stand, type, twist, bend.
- Able to use telephone and computers.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rashi is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Guided by our core values of justice, respect, learning, community, and spirit, and with social justice as a foundational cornerstone of our school, we are committed to building an inclusive community that honors and respects each individual, their varied identities, and their spirit. We seek to listen, learn, and grow together to ensure that we are a place in which all community members can thrive. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, including age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, mental disorder, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.