Middle School English Long Term Substitute Teacher
The Sage School, Foxborough, MA
Do you enjoy teaching high-school level English and have the energy, passion, and creativity to engage with gifted middle school students? Are you interested in joining a dynamic humanities department that promotes the qualities of leadership and citizenship?
The Sage School, is a Pre-K through Grade 8 school enrolling 170 students in Foxboro, MA. A school for gifted and talented students, Sage is committed to providing advanced academics to students from the greater Boston and Providence areas and beyond. We are a small, cohesive, nurturing community that values the free expression of ideas, the individual contributions of our members, and all types of diversity. We are committed to the core values of Passion, Excellence, Respect, and Collaboration. In its hiring practices, The Sage School does not discriminate, and seeks to maximize the diversity of the school, in terms of class, gender, ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, abilities/disabilities, and language.
The Sage School is looking for an engaging, creative, and adaptable long-term substitute for maternity leave coverage in our humanities department to teach 6th through 8th grade courses in our accelerated curriculum. Our humanities program is committed to interdisciplinary learning, which combines history and English. As an English teacher, the instructor will work closely with the Upper School humanities team, executing established units in writing/research and creative writing/poetry. The position would also include project-based learning, Socratic seminars, grammar and vocabulary curriculum, debate, expository writing, and adaptive independent work.
The ideal candidates will
- Have a passion for teaching and inspiring students.
- Set high expectations coupled with a nurturing classroom setting.
- Use the curriculum to advance the character and social and emotional growth of our students.
- Continuously assess student comprehension and set goals with students for continuous improvement.
- Collaborate with the Learning Specialist to support a variety of student learning styles and learning differences.
- Maintain a sense of humor and compassion.
- Possess strong writing skills and be comfortable communicating students’ progress with parents in narrative form and in person.
- Serve as the interim advisor to approximately ten students.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant academic field is required; a Masters degree is preferred.
This is a substitute maternity leave position with the flexibility to begin in either October or November (depending on applicant availability) through February 2022 and possibly beyond.
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter/educational philosophy, and three letters of reference to:
The Sage School
171 Mechanic Street
Foxboro, MA 02035