Middle School Brass Teaching Artist
Beaver Country Day School, Chestnut Hill, MA
Beaver Country Day School—an independent day school located just outside of Boston, serving grades 6-12—seeks a Middle School Brass Teaching Artist to begin in September 2023. This is a part- time, year-round position.
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL AND OUR PEOPLE
We are not your typical independent school. Education is not traditionally seen as forward-thinking. But that’s not the case at Beaver. We welcome change and seek feedback to improve continuously. Our “Launch, Test, Refine” mindset promotes flexibility, risk-taking, open-mindedness, and innovation. Our business is providing a future-focused education rooted in real-world context and experience and our clients are our students.
The Beaver mindset and approach to teaching place our students at the center of learning experiences in all settings, curricular and co-curricular.
- Our students in grades 6-12 are interesting and passionate individuals, who, above all, are genuinely happy to be at Beaver. We provide students with opportunities to be co-creators of their learning, making it a deeper, more meaningful experience. We are committed to providing an educational environment in tune with the real world and doing authentic work.
- Our teachers and educational leaders are committed to—and excited about— expanding the nature of school, and igniting and fueling the passions of all our students.
- Our mindset is to make excellent mistakes, launch/test/refine, and not be defined by binary thinking. Instead, we look to approach things from a both/and outlook: tradeoffs don’t have to be the answer and instead, that’s where creativity comes in. We are a community of creative thinkers and doers.
- Our values include collaboration, partnership, and above all, creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for our community. The work of diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice is a priority and a steadfast commitment. It is never “done”, and we will always make decisions with this philosophy at the core of who we are. For all Beaver students to feel a sense of belonging, it’s important that they see themselves reflected in the community, curriculum, and all our programming.
- Our goal every day is to create a school that is making an impact – for our students, and for education as a whole. We don’t take that work lightly, we need people that are relentlessly committed to it and excited to do this work—together.
Approach to Teaching and Learning:
The successful candidate will have a commitment to:
- Aligning the work to the BVR Mindset and New Basics as critical to the Beaver Student Experience
- A future-focused education with an understanding of the complexity and ever-changing nature of the world our students are inheriting
- A “next practice” mindset that understands how teaching and learning are changing and how practices should adapt
- Student-centered, culturally proactive, and responsive pedagogy in which all students are met where they are, and see themselves represented and valued.
Beaver Country Day School seeks an experienced, student-centered music instructor to teach three group beginner/intermediate brass classes weekly (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 10:55-11:40) for the 2023-24 school year.
The classes are composed of first, second, and third year brass students ranging from 6th-8th grades. Trumpet, trombone, and tuba students are in the same class.
This position is part of a team including choral, woodwind, percussion, and string teachers who collaborate to develop routines, goals, curriculum, pedagogy, and culture for the instrumental music program as well as produce concerts together. Additional opportunities such as substitute teaching opportunities and private lesson instruction may also present themselves.
- Competitive candidates should demonstrate the ability to connect with the middle school student and differentiate instruction based on the skill level and learning styles of the students.
- Competency in more than one brass instrument, experience teaching and inspiring young, beginner students in a group setting, and knowledge of brass repertoire, curriculum and pedagogy is essential to this role.
- The ability and willingness to collaborate effectively with other teachers is an important component of this position.
Additional things to know:
- Breakfast and lunch provided, as well as coffee and snacks.
- Free parking and close to the MBTA Green Line D.
- Complete vaccination against COVID-19 is currently a condition of employment at the School. The School considers requests for exemption on medical or religious grounds on a case-by-case basis. The School’s COVID-19 and other policies are subject to change at any time.