Middle School Art-STEAM Teacher
Heronfield Academy, Exeter, NH
Heronfield Academy is an independent middle school located on a pastoral 13-acre campus on the New Hampshire Seacoast. Serving approximately 90 students in grades 6 through 8, Heronfield provides an academically challenging curriculum centered on nurturing students through the core values of Honesty, Respect, Diligence, Celebration, and Caring. Heronfield’s teachers are dedicated to working with middle school students at this important period of academic, emotional and personal growth. As a small school, each person contributes to the community in many ways and also shares the joy of the important work we do together.
Heronfield Academy seeks a middle school Art-STEAM Teacher for the 2023-2024 school year who will teach two sections each of seventh and eighth grade TEA (Technology-Engineering-Art) classes. This is a dynamic opportunity for a candidate who has a background in art education but who also seeks to explore the creative connections between technology, art and design. Classes will take place in the school’s iStudio, a converted barn space where creativity can take many forms, from drawing and painting to digital art and engineering projects, and where students learn to work both independently and in collaborative teams. There are opportunities for the TEA courses to collaborate across disciplines, such as with English, history, science and Spanish classes.
This is a part-time position that will provide some flexibility in scheduling, and there may be additional opportunities for a successful candidate to further develop connections with the school community, such as through advising, coaching, and co-curricular activities.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A commitment to the mission and core values of the school and to the growth of young people
- A strong alliance with the school’s commitment to community, equity and belonging.
- Demonstrated training in arts and arts education, and preferably at least two years experience in the classroom.
- A bachelor’s degree in arts or arts education or a related field, with a master’s degree an additional asset
- Experience in working with middle school students and in guiding their personal and academic growth
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and demonstrated experience in using technology to enhance student learning
- A proactive, positive, team-oriented approach to bringing all measures of success to the school