Math Teacher, Middle School
Glen Urquhart School, Beverly, MA
Position Available: Glen Urquhart School
Math Teacher, Middle School
For 2022-2023 school year
About Us: Glen Urquhart School (GUS), is an independent, progressive day school for students in Pre-K through grade eight. Located 45 minutes north of Boston in Beverly Farms, GUS was founded in 1977 with an experiential, place-based philosophy that integrates all subjects and creates opportunities for students to be passionate in their pursuit of knowledge.
Description: We seek a dynamic and creative candidate who is passionate about teaching mathematics with a growth mindset to teach sixth grade mathematics and either pre algebra or algebra. The teacher should present lessons that enable students to develop a conceptual understanding of mathematics that leads to fluency with procedures. The teacher will employ differentiated instruction to help all learners find success. The GUS curriculum is thematic and interdisciplinary, and the School’s math program emphasizes development of mathematical language and problem solving skills along with standards based content. This approach requires collaboration with teachers across disciplines along with other math faculty. As an independent day school, we expect teachers to become involved in the life of the school. Beyond classroom work, teachers attend weekly morning meetings, school functions, and community events.
Key Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
- Supporting the mission, philosophy, and core values of the School
- Demonstrating academic excellence through a working knowledge of GUS’s core curriculum
- Delivering appropriate materials, lessons, and regular assessments of students in grades 6 & 7 or 8 using a variety of teaching strategies
- Effectively using academic technology to enhance instruction
- Issuing grades and comments for students in a timely manner
- Participating in the Faculty Evaluation Program
- Participating in parent conferences and communicating with parents regularly
- Attending all required meetings of the faculty
Qualifications: At GUS, we recognize that there are innumerable ways to learn, grow, and excel professionally. When reviewing applications we take a broad look at the experience of each applicant in order to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. That said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you possess a majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
- The position requires the ability to teach mathematics through Algebra 1
- A bachelor’s degree in mathematics or a related field
- A master’s degree in mathematics or in education
- 3-5 years teaching experience
Equal Opportunity Employer: Glen Urquhart School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or creed, national or ethnic origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic background, age, disability, or military service in its hiring, employment or other programs and activities.
Salary to be determined based on experience and education. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and list of three references via email with the subject line “Upper School Math Teacher” to email@example.com.