Beacon Academy, Boston, MA
Start Date: July 2024
Reports to: Director of Studies
Schedule: 40 hours with additional hours as needed
Work Year: Full year July to June
Benefits Eligible: Yes
The Math Teacher is responsible for planning and teaching two or three sections of Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and/or Geometry, depending on student mastery and academic needs. This role will include identifying potential areas in need of academic reinforcement for individual students and communicating with advisors and families/caregivers about student progress. The role also includes an additional significant responsibility, such as managing or assisting with the co-curricular program, athletics, overseeing the student technology program, managing study hall proctors, or some combination thereof. Other responsibilities include advising a small group of students, managing weekly math tutors, and supporting the day-to-day operations of the school in a variety of ways, including chaperoning field trips.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Represent the core values of the Academy in all work performed on behalf of the Academy and in all activities related to the lives of students, graduates, and their families by demonstrating an excellent work ethic, personal integrity, confidentiality, professional maturity, and thoughtful ambassadorship.
- Math Teacher
- Teach two or three sections of Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and/or Geometry during Summer Session and academic year.
- Teach the math portion of an SSAT prep class as needed.
- Submit written grade reports.
- Be accessible for additional help outside of class hours.
- Manage math tutoring program, including regular communication with tutors and developing assignments.
- Meet regularly with student advisees to discuss progress and concerns and to develop a sense of community.
- Communicate with advisees’ parents/caregivers to convey information and address academic and social challenges.
- Support and communicate with advisees’ mentors.
- Support students’ high school applications by writing letters of recommendation.
- Participate in parent/caregiver conferences and attend school-wide events.
- Assist the Development team by participating in fundraising events and speaking to donors about Beacon.
- Another significant role will be assigned based on the needs of the school; possibilities include managing the co-curricular program, athletics, the study hall program, the student technology program, or some combination thereof.
- Bachelor’s degree in math or related field; Master’s preferred
- At least three years of experience teaching middle or high school students
- Ability to teach Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and/or Geometry and differentiate instruction as needed
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency with the use of technology for teaching, including Google Classroom and SMART Board technologies and graphing calculators (i.e. TI-84 Plus)
- Ability to build relationships with families/caregivers, colleagues, and volunteers to support students
- Personal warmth and empathy
- Demonstrated ability to embrace and share the mission of Beacon Academy
- The ability to move freely about the Academy in order to be responsive to the needs of students
- Willingness and ability to drive passenger vans preferred
- Generous paid time off
- Insurance coverage – Health, Vision, and Dental
- Life, short-term, and long-term disability insurance
- Retirement plan with matching employer contribution after the first year
- Flexible Spending Accounts – Health and Dependent Care
- Convenient location with parking and accessible to public transportation
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: “Math Teacher.”
Beacon Academy welcomes a diverse candidate pool, including candidates who are bilingual, because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better outcomes for everyone.
Beacon Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.