Math / Science Specialist
Saint Joseph Prep, Boston, MA
Math / Science Specialist
Saint Joseph Prep, a Catholic, co-educational, independent college preparatory high school sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston, seeks to add an exceptional educator to the Academic Enrichment Center team as a full-time Math/Science Specialist for the 22-23 school year. The ideal candidate will be adept at working with adolescents in a secondary school setting with a diverse population and will support the school’s mission of educating the whole person. Through the Academic Enrichment Center (AEC), we organize and provide academic enrichment programs to address the individual needs of students, helping them to meet their academic potential and develop prerequisite skills for success in college. The work of our team with associated teachers and advisors helps students to leverage their learning strengths and stay on a successful path so that their achievement reflects their ability. This is a ten-month, full-time position reporting to the Director of the Academic Enrichment Center.
About Saint Joseph Prep
Saint Joseph Prep’s culture is defined by Academic Excellence, Authentic Community, Meaningful Engagement, and Dynamic Innovation. These pillars are at the heart of all that we do to provide students with an exceptional high school experience that not only prepares them for success in college, but also develops them into courageous, compassionate leaders. Saint Joseph Prep offers an extensive athletic program, vibrant extra-curricular and service opportunities, small class sizes, an Academic Enrichment Center, Chapel Speaking and Advisor Programs, and individualized college counseling.
Math/Science Specialist Job Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, and implements math, or science, lessons that support students in one-on-one settings as well as in small groups in the Math Enrichment Room of the Learning Commons 5 days per week.
- Coordinates and supports the implementation of curriculum; Tailors instruction to meet individual student needs in line with the grade-level scope and sequence (Algebra I & II, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Statistics, & Calculus, Biology. Chemistry and Physics)
- Provides math and science enrichment to a variety of learning profiles and neurodiverse students, allowing those that need additional challenge further opportunities to engage;
- Collaborates with the Learning Specialist and Math and Science Departments to ensure continuity of teaching methods and strategies as support both inside and outside of the classroom;
- Monitors and consults with the faculty and parents regarding the progress of students who receive math and science enrichment services;
- Serves as member of the Academic Student’s of Concern Team and attend all of its meetings; Meet with Advisors, the College Counseling department, Assistant Head of School for Academics and teachers to resolve students’ academic issues; Review grades for student population and collaborate with the AEC team regarding student success and action items.
Skills and Competencies
Saint Joseph Prep seeks a Math /Science Specialist to support students with diverse learning styles by providing meaningful intervention and remediation within an academically rigorous high school environment. Strong interpersonal skills, along with excellent oral and written communication skills, are critical. The position requires experience in strategizing techniques in executive functioning skills, study skills, time management, and organization. The candidate should have wide-ranging intellectual and educational interests and the ability to understand and support a college preparatory curriculum. A passion for teaching and learning is essential. The candidate should have a strong desire to support students to reach their potential, work as part of a team, collaborate with the faculty, and communicate regularly with families.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited four-year college or university; Masters degree preferred
- 2+ years of math or science teaching or related tutoring experience with adolescents required; experience working with students with learning differences and enrichment needs preferred
- Knowledge of math and science subject matter and content across all grade levels
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a safe, brave, and inclusive community
- Possess cultural competence in working with diverse populations