Math Learning Specialist
Brookwood School, Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
About Brookwood School:
Brookwood is an Early Childhood through Grade 8 independent school of about 300 students located on a beautiful 30-acre wooded campus in Manchester, MA on the coast of the North Shore of Boston. At Brookwood, kids come first—not the test, not trophies, not to-do lists. We know how kids learn best. Every day, we use our expertise to challenge kids intellectually and ensure they feel valued so that they can grow into their best selves. Our program focuses on fostering a joyful community of lifelong learners and upstanding global citizens who embrace a culture of curiosity, kindness, and academic accomplishment. Brookwood also offers a playful, collaborative work environment for 85 faculty and staff who go the extra mile to do what is best for kids.
Full-Time Position Summary
Brookwood’s Skills Department provides academic support for students with learning and executive functioning challenges. Learning Specialists work with students to reinforce foundational skills, identify the strategies and tools that work best for their learning style, practice applying their skills to classroom curricula, and develop their understanding of themselves as learners. We are seeking an experienced Math Learning Specialist who is able to support student learning through direct instruction with students and through collaboration with other faculty members. The caseload for this position may include 1:1 and small groups of students from grades K through 8. Additionally, the Math Learning Specialist will be able to collaborate with classroom teachers in both a consulting and a co-teaching model. The successful candidate should have training and experience working with students who have dyscalculia and other learning differences that impact their learning in math. The ability to also work with students who need extension activities is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in math and/or Special Education preferred
- Minimum of three years of experience teaching math to students with learning differences
- Experience providing both “pull out” and “push-in” support
- Experience with Investigations Math Curriculum
- Commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environment for all students
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide 1:1 and small group support for students with learning challenges that impact their learning in math
- Work collaboratively with classroom teachers, Skills Coordinator, and Division Heads to identify student needs and develop support plans to address these needs
- Provide both “pull out” and “push-in” support as needed
- Administer academic assessments (e.g., WIAT-4, PAL-II, etc.) to gain more information about students’ math skills and use the information to help develop support plans
- Interpret neuropsychological reports and support the implementation of recommendations within individual, small group, and classroom settings
- Communicate effectively with families and classroom teachers about student needs and progress
- Write formal student progress reports and attend parent conferences twice a year
- Attend weekly Skills Department meetings and division/grade level meetings
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, résumé, and statement of educational philosophy to Alicia Drury, receptionist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ educators, or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Brookwood.