Math Curriculum Coordinator
Acera School, Winchester, MA
Acera is looking for an experienced math teacher, curriculum leader, and teacher coach to lead high-level mathematics courses (including topics of calculus, number theory and discrete mathematics) and coordinate our mathematics program for gifted students.
At Acera, students learn, discover, and explore at a pace appropriate to each child’s unique motivation and potential, not their age. Our culture is not about pressure to achieve; it is about freedom to thrive. We support our students’ innate curiosity and love of learning. We empower and support our teachers to customize learning which is high engagement and filled with a sense of purpose in ways that fit the unique interests, needs, and potential of our students. Rather than focus on knowledge acquisition, we prioritize and focus on developing students’ core capacities: systems thinking, perspective taking, critical thinking and problem solving, collaboration, creativity, emotional intelligence, ethical decision making, and leadership. We develop thinkers and innovators who will be able to make positive change in our world. Learn more at www.aceraschool.org/how-we-teach.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
A core part of Acera’s program is our ability and readiness-based math block model. This candidate will oversee our whole math program. This year, with 144 students, we have 22 different math classes; we initiate each school year with a snapshot assessment experience for every student, ensuring that students are placed in classes based upon their ability without limits due to curricula or age.
- Coordinate the math program across the school
- Manage assessment process to identify the best placement and math pathway for each child
- Teach two high-level math courses (ie, calculus, number theory, discrete math)
- Support and develop math teachers, providing teachers ways to expand their practice in a “low floor, wide walls, high ceiling” approach.
- Design and offer parent education sessions about Acera’s math program twice a year; resolve issues around math placement and math learning.
- Support each math teacher to clarify their students’ math learning goals and path, including commentary on growth. These comments will be included in students’ individual learning plans and narrative report cards, as well as in monthly math class updates.
- Write narrative progress reports for students and edit other teacher’s narrative reports, when necessary.
- Support math portfolio submissions which show students’ development in critical thinking and problem solving, creativity, systems thinking skills, and persistence.
- Communicate in a way that seeks to understand and assumes best intentions of colleagues, parents and students. Operate and make decisions in ways that have integrity with Acera’s core values of community, openness, innovation and curiosity, integrity, and leadership.
- Experience in a teacher mentor role, supporting growth of other teachers.
- 3+ years of experience teaching high-level mathematics.
- In-depth understanding of mathematics as a creative endeavor and as a way of thinking, not simply as a list of procedures.
- Passion, high energy, and a commitment to hands-on, project-based learning, with a willingness to explore mathematical ideas with young minds; Acera is a K-grade 10 school.
- Experience in engaging learners with diverse profiles (including giftedness, ADHD, Asperger’s, anxiety) and through diverse learning methods (visual/spatial supports, executive functioning supports, hands-on manipulatives, games, simulations, debates, discussions, etc.).
- Eager and skillful in leading parent education sessions.
Term & Anticipated Start Date
Full-time, exempt, school year only or year-round position. Start date as desired, by August 22, 2022.
Salary & Benefits
- Paid federal/state holidays plus school-year breaks.
- Health, dental and vision benefits available, SIMPLE IRA.
- School-aged children of full time employees are able to attend Acera’s after school and summer programs free of charge.
- Prolonged periods standing and walking throughout school, classroom, campus.
- Must be able to assist students who have physical difficulties.
- Must be able to kneel, sit, stand, crawl, push, and pull to assist and teach children throughout the day.
- Must be able to traverse the space and adjust one’s tone and height, by bending or leaning, in order to teach each child.
- Prolonged periods sitting and working on computer to complete necessary planning, paperwork, etc
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Acera is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Conditions of Offer
You must provide documentation of a completed COVID vaccination series.
All offers of employment are contingent upon CORI, SORI and fingerprint-based background checks, as required by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), our company is required to verify the identity and work authorization of all newly hired employees. Therefore, if you accept this position, you will be required to complete a Form I-9 upon hire. Within 3 days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation (as noted on the Form I-9) of your identity and work authorization.
Please submit the following to email@example.com:
- cover letter
- personal statement of educational philosophy
- description of your classroom management/discipline beliefs
- any experience and/or training in gifted education