Math and Science Teacher
Acera School, Winchester, MA
Full-Time Math and Science Teacher November 2021 Acera: The Massachusetts School of Science, Creativity and Leadership
Winchester, MA (8 miles north of Boston) 5 Lowell Avenue
Acera is looking for an experienced math teacher to lead high level mathematics courses for gifted math students, including topics of Calculus, Number Theory, and Discrete Mathematics, as well as science classes. A core part of Acera’s program is our ability/readiness based math block model. This year, with 144 students, we have 22 different math classes; we initiate each school year with a snapshot assessment experience for every student, ensuring that kids learn based upon their ability without limits due to curricula or age. Bring your highly collaborative spirit, love of math, and commitment to high-engagement learning and join our school community!
We envision a world in which schools engage students in meaningful learning, in which teachers are freed as entrepreneurs in their classrooms, and in which students can become the best version of themselves, given each students’ unique capacities, needs, and passions. The Acera school day program provides students with unbounded access to learning, offering high capacity students opportunity according to their ability, not age. Acera’s enrichment programs (after school, summer, and vacation week camps) are open to the public, and our Education Innovation efforts are actively engaging in public school projects to support educational change. We also partner with organizations beyond our walls, creating programs rich in sciences, technology, engineering, creativity and arts. We operate both as a lab school and a microcosm of what is possible for other schools. We seek to grow students’ emotional intelligence and enable them to become the best version of themselves. Our mission, across our core school day program, enrichment programs and within our partnerships, is to develop the next generation of innovators, leaders and creative thinkers who can make a positive impact in the world.
We seek to hire a full-time, experienced math educator to teach two high-school level math courses, as well as science courses in our upper and/or lower school.
- Design math and science courses for upper elementary and middle school.
- Create and foster rich discussions and experiences in mathematics and science classes, including differentiated instruction as needed, and support other math teachers to do so also.
- Continuously adapt classroom focus and strategies to accommodate for each student’s needs.
- Clarify math and science learning goals and path and commentary on growth, for inclusion in students’ individual learning plans and narrative report cards, as well as in monthly math class updates which are shared with parents. Write narrative report cards for students and edit other teacher’s narrative reports when necessary. We do not assign grades at Acera. Instead, we write student comments for our progress reports twice a year. Comments give parents insight into mastery level as well as learning styles. It is expected that all teachers follow the comment writing and editing timeline.
- Support math portfolio submissions which show students’ development in critical thinking and problem solving, creativity, systems thinking skills, and persistence.
- Offer math conferences on an as-requested basis during conference days, and attend meetings and parent conferences when appropriate; this can occur alongside the core classroom teacher for your math students or you may initiate and/or respond to parent requests for individual math conferences.
- Communicate in a way that seeks to understand and assumes best intentions of colleagues, parents and students. Operate and make decisions in ways that have integrity with Acera’s core values of community, openness, innovation & curiosity, integrity, and leadership.
The ideal candidate has experience in engaging learners with diverse profiles, including giftedness, ADHD, Asperger’s, anxiety, as well as in including diverse learning methods (visual/spatial supports, executive functioning supports, hands-on manipulatives, games, simulations, debates, mathematical discussions, etc.). Acera teachers must have copious patience to try new strategies. The ideal candidate will have a well considered mathematical learning philosophy, and will be eager and skillful in leading parent education sessions.
- Teaching experience in mathematics and/or sciences.
- In-depth understanding of mathematics, as a creative endeavor and as a way of thinking, not simply as a list of procedures. Willingness to explore mathematical ideas with young minds.
- Experience in employing a variety of pedagogical approaches for different learning styles.
- Flexibility and a collaborative spirit.
Please submit cover letter, resume, philosophy of education and beliefs about math education to email@example.com
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately upon hire
Equal Opportunity Employer
Acera is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Conditions of Offer:
You must provide documentation of a completed COVID vaccination series. All offers of employment are contingent upon CORI, SORI and fingerprint-based background checks, as required by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), our company is required to verify the identity and work authorization of all newly hired employees. Therefore, if you accept this position, you will be required to complete a Form I-9 upon hire. Within 3 days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation (as noted on the Form I-9) of your identity and work authorization.