Lower School Substitute Teacher
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Reports to: Lower School Director
BB&N is seeking Lower School substitute teachers for the 2023-2024 academic year to provide coverage for expected and unexpected faculty absences. Primary responsibilities include teaching in a range of age levels and subject areas and providing a consistent and optimal learning environment by following the lesson plans. Additional responsibilities include covering duties and attending events outside the classroom as needed.
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate should have 1-3 years of teaching experience at the elementary school level, an understanding of cognitive and social development for children at this age, and a strong knowledge of instruction and assessment practices in Mathematics and English Language Arts. In addition, candidates should be well-versed in interdisciplinary curriculum, project work, and anti-bias curriculum. A Bachelor’s degree is required, and a Master’s degree is preferred.
In addition, the candidate should demonstrate:
- Joy working with elementary-aged students, and an understanding of child development for this age group
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Knowledge and commitment around diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the classroom climate and curriculum
- A desire to continue seeking professional development
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues inside and outside of the curriculum
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and families
- Curriculum design and assessment experience
- Ability to receive feedback
Compensation: $67,000.00 – $97,400.00 Prorated for an hourly rate
Please visit the Careers at BB&N page to complete your online application. Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.