Lower School PE/Health Teacher
Jackson Walnut Park School, Newton, MA
Jackson Walnut Park School is an early childhood and primary school sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph. Located in an historic neighborhood in Newton, JWP features an accredited Montessori early childhood program and a K-6 independent school in the Catholic tradition. The school offers a rich, discovery-based curriculum, with signature programs that include STEAM education at all grades, a language arts program that incorporates principles from Lucy Calkins’ Reading and Writing Project, and foundations in three languages by sixth grade: Spanish, Mandarin and Latin. A vibrant arts program, diverse after school activities and childcare options, and a caring, values-based community that espouses the mission of the Sisters of St. Joseph support the development of well-rounded children who, in the words of our mission: “love learning, love God, and love one another.”
Jackson Walnut Park School seeks a full-time Physical Education/Health Teacher for the 2021-2022 school year.
Broad responsibilities include:
- Planning and delivering a robust physical education curriculum to students in the K-6th grade lower school
- Planning and delivering an introductory level health curriculum to students in 4th-6th grade
- Coordinating and collaborating with pre-school PE teacher on use of shared facility (gym) and PE materials
- Establishing and maintaining expectations for student behavior, supporting students in understanding community standards with positive reinforcement and guidance
- Collaborating with colleagues as appropriate to ensure consistency of program, to develop curriculum and to coordinate activities and interdisciplinary projects
- Communicating regularly and effectively with parents about student progress, both formally (report cards, progress reports, etc…) and informally (phone calls, emails, etc…)
- Participating fully in the life of the school, including scheduled extra duties (playground supervision, lunchroom supervision, etc…) and attending after hours events (Admissions events, school performances, etc…) that reflect commitment to the success of the school and the development of the whole child
- Pursuing relevant professional development opportunities and demonstrating a commitment to lifelong learning
- Planning and delivering modified curriculum effectively through distance learning methods should the need arise
- Conducting one’s self in a manner consistent with the school’s mission and values, and as a role model for the young people in our charge
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree with a major in physical education, elementary education, or other relevant major, with a preference for an advance degree. She/he will have at least two years prior experience, with a track record of success working with children in a classroom setting. Pluses include: Independent or Catholic school experience, familiarity with Responsive Classroom practices, experience and facility with educational technology platforms (especially Google Classroom, Zoom).
The salary for this position will be competitive with comparable area Catholic schools and commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate. Benefits are set and conferred through the corporate office of the Sisters of St. Joseph. Interested candidates can obtain additional information about the school by visiting our website at www.jwpschools.org.
To apply, candidates should electronically submit a letter of interest and a resume with contact information for three to five references to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Classroom Teacher and the grade level in the subject line. No telephone inquiries please. All electronic applications will be acknowledged upon receipt, and those candidates who best match Jackson School’s qualifications will be contacted.
Jackson Walnut Park School, in the treatment of employees and applicants for employment, is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination. The school and its representatives follow the laws that govern hiring practices and focus fairly and consistently with every applicant on the talent, skills, and abilities needed for the job.