Lower School Music Teacher
Milton Academy, Milton, MA
About our School:
Milton Academy is an independent college preparatory K–12 school, boarding and day in grades 9–12, located just outside Boston.
Milton Academy cultivates in our students a passion for learning and a respect for others. Milton students grow by developing their own identities, learning from and listening to the lived experiences of others, and living and working among peers whose differences they accept with respect and care.
In our ongoing work to create an environment that confronts bias, injustice, and bigotry, we encourage each other to be open to learning, explore our histories and identities, and seek to understand the world around us with a critical lens. At Milton, we prepare students to partner with their future communities to create a more just world and to have the courage to speak up and live by our motto, “Dare to be true.”
Summary of Position:
The Lower School seeks a full-time music teacher to cover a one year sabbatical for the 2023-24 school year. The Lower School Music Teacher will:
- teach general music to Grades K-5.
- plan and implement a balanced program to include music appreciation, harmony, theory, choral music, instrumental music, and the historical and cultural aspects of music.
- conduct Grade 4 and Grade 5 combined chorus.
- plan and oversee all music performances and events that include music presentations, including Lower School concerts, assemblies, and end-of-year ceremonies.
- provide musical direction for the annual Grade 5 play production.
- support the planning of Lower School assemblies.
- have optional opportunities to teach after school music classes.
Qualified candidates will have:
- at least three years of experience teaching elementary classroom music
- demonstrated ability and skill with age-appropriate music
- experience sequencing for healthy vocal development
- strong piano or guitar skills
- training in Orff and/or Kodaly methodology is preferred
- a degree in music education is preferred
Milton Academy is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin or ancestry, age, veteran status, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are fundamental elements of Milton’s mission. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds.