Lower School Music Teacher, One Year
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: August 2023
Reports to: Lower School Director
BB&N is seeking a full-time music teacher to teach Grades 3-6 for the 2023-2024 academic year. This is a one-year role with possible continuation after participation in a search process conducted during the school year.
The Lower School music program aims to help students grow in their enjoyment, appreciation, and performance of music through a variety of planned music experiences, which include singing/listening to music, playing instruments, music theory skills, and music history.
The Music Teacher, Grades 3-6 should be a skilled musician who is passionate about a variety of music genres and the richness of the musical experience. The Grades 3-6 Music Teacher is responsible for creating and maintaining a positive classroom climate, involvement in curriculum development, preparing students for musical performances, and evaluating student performance and growth. The Grades 3-6 Music Teacher also plans and orchestrates annual concerts, partners with other faculty for the Grade 6 musical production, and co-plans/co-leads Lower School assemblies. The Grades 3-6 Music Teacher will work closely with other teachers to develop interdisciplinary learning experiences, prepare progress reports and conferences with families throughout the year, and perform scheduled campus duties.
Some additional responsibilities include but are not limited to, leading/co-leading Racial Justice Community Time and Rainbow Community Time, attendance at weekly faculty meetings, ordering of materials, tools, instructional aids, budget management, admissions work, Back to School Night presentation, and any other duties that may be assigned by Administration.
In addition, the Grades 3-6 Music Teacher is expected to be committed to the following practices:
- Engagement in critical reflection and ongoing anti-bias & anti-racist practices.
- Social-emotional learning.
- Using the visual arts to expand on the thoughts and ideas of the students.
- Collaboration between adults in our community evolves and advances practice.
- Documentation and assessment of learning in ways that make the learning visible.
- Understanding of Inquiry based-interdisciplinary research projects and the development of authentic and meaningful experiences that results in exemplary work (a student’s best work) and lifelong learning.
- Organization and use of materials within different disciplines in skilled and inventive ways to deepen learning.
- Installation of organized and aesthetically pleasing learning environments.
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate should have a minimum of three years of teaching experience at the elementary level, and an understanding of cognitive and social development for children at this age. A Master’s degree in elementary music education is preferred.
In addition, the candidate should demonstrate:
- Joy working with elementary-aged students, and an understanding of child development for this age group
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Knowledge and commitment around diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the classroom climate and curriculum
- A desire to continue seeking professional development
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues inside and outside of the curriculum
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and families
- Curriculum design experience
- Ability to receive feedback
Salary: $67,000.00 – $97,400.00
BB&N offers competitive salaries and benefits and employs equitable and consistent compensation practices. Our compensation strategy prioritizes equity of pay for faculty with similar years of teaching and other related experience. Starting salaries for the 2023-2024 school year typically range from a starting salary of $67,000 to the median 20 year teaching experience salary of $97,400. Both of these salaries are exclusive of additional compensation granted to faculty with relevant advanced degrees. The starting salary for any hired candidate is based on experience within salary bands.
Compensation for full-time employees includes a 403(b) plan with up to a 10% match of salary and other competitive benefits offerings. Benefits offered to eligible employees include health & dental insurance; commuter benefits; long-term disability insurance, and more.
Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.