Lower School Math Specialist Grades 5 & 6, Leave
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: November 2023
Department: Lower School
Reports to: Lower School Director
BB&N is seeking a full-time Lower School Math Specialist for Grades 5&6 to cover a leave of absence from the end of November 2024 through mid June 2024. The role of the mathematics specialist is vital to the success of students’ mathematics achievement and to the ongoing development of BB&N’s mathematics program. The specialist is available to plan and implement the mathematics curriculum and to work with teachers to develop grade-level common assessments. The focus is to determine the appropriate pace and differentiation for each unit of study that will meet the needs of all learners. Having a deep knowledge of mathematics to enrich the content is a priority.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the implementation of the mathematics curriculum.
- Planning and co-teaching with the homeroom teacher and determining flexible grouping strategies to meet the needs of all learners.
- Collaborating with homeroom teachers on curriculum planning, setting expectations, assessing students’ achievement levels, and assigning students to individual or small group instruction.
- Working with groups or individuals to provide differentiated instruction for specific lessons, skill sets, and/or units of study.
- Monitoring curriculum resource materials, and ordering or procuring additional materials if deemed necessary.
- Work directly under the guidance of the Lower School Mathematics Coach/Coordinator.
- Any additional responsibilities determined by the LS Director and Lower School Mathematics Coach/Coordinator as vital to the successful implementation of the mathematics curriculum.
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate should have at least three to five years of full-time teaching experience. A Bachelor’s degree is required, and a Master’s degree is preferred. In addition, the ideal candidate should have a strong math background, knowledge of developmental age groups in grades 5-7, in-depth knowledge of different learning styles, and experience coaching teachers to develop their ability to differentiate their math instruction.
In addition, the candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Joy working with elementary-aged students, and an understanding of child development for this age group
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Knowledge and commitment around diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the classroom climate and curriculum
- A desire to continue seeking professional development
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues inside and outside of the curriculum
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and families
- Curriculum design experience
- Ability to receive feedback
Salary: $33,500.00 – $48,700.00 Prorated for a daily rate
BB&N offers competitive salaries and benefits and employs equitable and consistent compensation practices. Our compensation strategy prioritizes equity of pay for faculty with similar years of teaching and other related experience. Starting salaries for the 2023-2024 school year typically range from a starting salary of $33,500 to the median 20 year teaching experience salary of $48,700. Both of these salaries are exclusive of additional compensation granted to faculty with relevant advanced degrees. The starting salary for any hired candidate is based on experience within salary bands.
Please visit the Careers at BB&N page to complete your online application. Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.