Lower School Gradehead
Shady Hill School, Cambridge, MA
Position: Lower School Gradehead (Anticipated opening Fall 2023)
Reports To: Lower School Division Head
Date Updated: January 2022
The Lower School consists of students in Beginners (PreK) – Grade IV.
Specific Gradehead Responsibilities:
- Teach the year-long, grade level assigned Thematic Study / Central Subject which integrates instruction in language and literature, mathematics, science, music and art
- Beginners: Topics of Interest
- Kindergarten: All About Us
- Grade I: Community
- Grade II: The Charles River
- Grade III: Whales and Whaling
- Grade IV: Ancient Greece
- Teach mathematics, using manipulative-based math materials to cover topics including computation, numeration, patterns, measurement, classification and graphing
- Work closely and collaboratively with grade level team and department teachers to shape and refine curriculum
- Manage all classroom responsibilities, including designing and implementing curriculum, differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all learners, utilizing a variety of approaches to teaching and assessing students
- Communicate regularly about student progress by writing reports, holding conferences with parents/guardians and meeting with other faculty and administrators to support the needs of individuals
- Monitor the social, emotional and academic lives of students
- Serve as a full community member by attending weekly faculty meetings, serving on committees, participating in admissions activities and performing weekly recess and dismissal duties, as well as volunteering for coverage duties when needed
- Engage in professional development to enhance inclusive teaching and leadership practices. The school offers extensive professional development opportunities, including faculty summer study, travel grants, and yearly trips to the People of Color Conference for BIPOC employees.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters degree preferred
- At least three years of prior elementary classroom teaching experience preferred
- Familiarity with integrated learning through a thematic approach
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging literacy, accomplished-reader skills and the craft of writing
- Experience in helping children to construct mathematical knowledge through conceptually-based mathematics instruction that uses manipulatives and a problem-solving approach
- Effective, timely, and professional communication skills
- Employs multicultural, anti-bias, and anti-racist teaching strategies and materials that reflect cultural competence
- A keen interest in pursuing professional development opportunities
Finalists are expected to teach a demonstration lesson. A writing sample and college transcripts are also required. Annual salary for faculty is determined according to a step scale commensurate with experience.
To apply: please send a cover letter, resume, and three references as separate documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Lower School Gradehead”in the subject line of the email.
Shady Hill offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans, a school-matched retirement plan and paid time off. Shady Hill is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. For more information on Shady Hill please visit us at www.shs.org.
COVID 19 Protocols:
All Shady Hill employees are required to provide proof of vaccination and to observe campus covid protocols. All health and safety protocols are subject to change based on state, local and CDC guidelines and at the discretion of the Health and Safety Team.