Lower School French Teacher, Leave
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School, Cambridge, MA
Start Date: February 2024
Reports to: Lower School Director
BB&N is seeking a full-time Lower School French teacher to cover a leave of absence during the Winter and Spring of 2024, from February 2024, through May 2024. The Lower School French teacher is responsible for teaching French to students in Grade 4 through Grade 6. The goal of our classes is for students to acquire French through communication which happens organically through the active participation of students. Knowledge of the Comprehensible Input Approach to language learning is preferred. Expectations also include creating and maintaining a positive classroom climate, involvement in curriculum development, evaluating each student’s performance and growth, planning and presenting displays designed to exhibit students’ work for the school community, working closely with other teachers in developing single discipline, and interdisciplinary learning experiences, preparing progress reports and conference with families throughout the year, and performing scheduled campus duties.
Some additional responsibilities include but are not limited to, leading/co-leading Affinity Lunch, attendance at weekly faculty meetings, ordering of materials, tools, instructional aids, budget management, admissions work, Back to School Night presentation, and any other duties that may be assigned by the Administration.
In addition, the Lower School French teacher is expected to be committed to the following practices:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the curriculum and the community.
- Social-emotional learning.
- Using the visual arts to expand on the thoughts and ideas of the students.
- Collaboration between adults in our community evolves and advances practice.
- Documentation and assessment of learning in ways that make the learning visible.
- Understanding of inquiry-based-interdisciplinary research projects and the development of authentic and meaningful experiences that result in exemplary work (a student’s best work) and lifelong learning.
- Organization and use of materials within different disciplines in skilled and inventive ways to deepen learning.
- Installation of organized and aesthetically pleasing learning environments.
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate should have a minimum of three years of teaching experience at the elementary school level, an understanding of cognitive and social development for children at this age, and a strong background in French and language education. Candidates should be well-versed in interdisciplinary curriculum, project work, and anti-bias curriculum. A Bachelor’s degree is required and a Master’s degree is preferred.
In addition, the candidate should demonstrate:
- Joy working with elementary-aged students, and an understanding of child development for this age group
- Commitment to working in and fostering an inclusive community
- Knowledge and commitment around diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and the impact it has on the classroom climate and curriculum
- A desire to continue seeking professional development
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues inside and outside of the curriculum
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and families
- Curriculum design experience
- Ability to receive feedback
Salary: $67,000.00 – $97,400.00 Prorated for a daily rate
BB&N offers competitive salaries and benefits and employs equitable and consistent compensation practices. Our compensation strategy prioritizes equity of pay for faculty with similar years of teaching and other related experience. Starting salaries for the 2023-2024 school year typically range from a starting salary of $67,000 to the median 20 year teaching experience salary of $97,400. Both of these salaries are exclusive of additional compensation granted to faculty with relevant advanced degrees. The starting salary for any hired candidate is based on experience within salary bands.
Please visit the Careers at BB&N page to complete your online application. Please upload your Cover Letter, Resume, Personal Statement, and/or Teaching Philosophy and Reference List.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will increase our diversity; we encourage candidates of color and all diverse candidates to apply.
Buckingham Browne & Nichols Schools takes the health and safety of its community members very seriously. Because we serve students, many of whom are not eligible for vaccination due to their age, we require all employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus with the Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine before commencing employment. Documentation showing vaccination status will be required as part of the application process.