||Lower Division Literacy Specialist
The Park School is a Pre-K to Grade 8 independent school in Brookline, MA dedicated to excellence in education. The cornerstone of Park’s program is academic excellence, combining both high standards of scholarship and the encouragement of each child to develop to their greatest potential. Our school community fosters a nurturing environment in which children develop curiosity, express creativity, appreciate the value of hard work and discipline, and experience the joy of learning. Park’s faculty encourages each student to strive for intellectual, physical and moral growth and to become contributing members of the community.
The Literacy Specialist is a member of the school’s Lower Division and reports to the Lower Division Head. In support of the school’s mission and curricular goals, this full time, 10-month position is responsible for providing reading and writing support to students in PreK through Grade 2. In addition, the position requires expertise in early childhood literacy curriculum, as well as experience working directly with four- to eight-year-old children.
The ideal candidate will possess creative problem-solving skills, a sense of humor, a passion for literacy teaching and learning, and strong interpersonal skills that allow one to cooperate and collaborate effectively with others. At the Park School, faculty engage respectfully with families and demonstrate sensitivity to cultures, values, configurations, and beliefs.
- Provide small group literacy support for students in the LD
- Collaborate with PreK – Grade 4 teachers to plan and integrate literacy lessons into the classroom teaching
- Communicate regularly and effectively with parents, both orally and in writing
- Attend parent-teacher conferences for both individual students and any conferences deemed appropriate in grade-level classrooms
- Manage and administer assessment procedures, training, and data collection in collaboration with the Literacy Team and Lower Division Head
- Demonstrate a passion for lifelong learning and actively pursue professional development rooted in individual and schoolwide literacy goals
- Partner with the Director of Academic Support to differentiate reading instruction for students in PreK – Grade 2
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree required in Elementary Education or Literacy
- Minimum of 5 years teaching experience in elementary grades
- Depth of understanding in literacy development, research-based practices and current trends in elementary literacy education, with a focus on student development in Grades Pre-K – 2
- Experience using a variety of assessment data to inform instruction
- Experience with the Wilson “Fundations” Program
- Training in structured multisensory instructional methods
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working in a culturally diverse community
- To apply, visit the posting on our careers page and click apply. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and statement of teaching philosophy with your application.
- The Park School offers competitive salaries and benefits, including a strong professional development program.
- We welcome candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and who have demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in their teaching and learning.
- The Park School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or family composition or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its employment, education, admission, financial aid, and other policies and programs.