Long Term Substitute Teacher: Marine and Life Science
Falmouth Academy, Falmouth, MA
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AT FALMOUTH ACADEMY
Job Title: Long Term Substitute Teacher: Marine and Life Science
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Responsible to: Academic Dean, Head of School
Last Modified: May 2023
Position Summary: Falmouth Academy is seeking a long term 7th grade marine and life science
substitute teacher for the 2023-2024 school year. The position will begin on October 1 and end no earlier
than March 1, with the possibility of extending to the end of the school year. Preferred candidates will
have an academic background in biology and marine science, as well as a record of demonstrated success
working with young people in education or a related field. The candidate is an enthusiastic individual
who has demonstrated a passion for the process of scientific inquiry and for teaching that builds interest
in, enthusiasm for, and mastery of the subject.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Teach two sections of 7th grade marine and life science
* Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, labs, and handouts
* Prepare weekly labs, including ordering supplies, set up and clean up
* Maintain student attendance records, grades, progress reports, and other required records
* Evaluate and grade students’ class work, assignments, lab reports, and other assessments
* Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of
* Maintain regular office hours in order to advise and assist students
* Support and supervise student Science and Engineering Fair research projects
* Be proficient in experimental design and analysis
* Participate in occasional evening or weekend meetings or school activities
* Other duties, as assigned
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
* Bachelor’s Degree in biology, marine science or a related field
* Effective communicator, both orally and in writing, with colleagues and parents
* Ability to meet classroom obligations on a consistent schedule
* Must be eligible to work in the U.S.
* Must be able to pass a background check
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
* Works in an environment with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse
array of contacts
* May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
* Be able to occasionally lift up to 15 lbs.
* Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled office environment.
* Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold
Candidates who wish to inquire are encouraged to complete an application available on the Employment
page of the school’s website: www.falmouthacademy.org/about/employment and submit it along with a
cover letter and resume to Matt Green, Head of School: firstname.lastname@example.org.