Life Sciences Teacher
Acera School, Winchester, MA
Life Sciences Teacher
Acera is looking for an experienced life sciences teacher or life sciences career changer to design and lead authentic science investigations for our upper school students.
We envision a world in which schools engage students in meaningful learning, in which teachers are freed as entrepreneurs in their classrooms, and in which students can become the best version of themselves, given each students’ unique capacities, needs, and passions. The Acera School day program provides students with unbounded access to learning, offering high-capacity students opportunity according to their ability, not age. Acera’s enrichment programs (after school, summer, and vacation week camps) are open to the public, and our Education Innovation (EI) efforts are actively engaged in public school projects to support educational change. We also partner with organizations beyond our walls, creating programs rich in sciences, technology, engineering, creativity, and the arts. We operate both as a lab school and a microcosm of what is possible for other schools. We seek to grow students’ emotional intelligence and develop the next generation of innovators, leaders, and creative thinkers who can make a positive impact in the world.
Learn more about how we teach at www.aceraschool.org/how-we-teach.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
A core part of Acera’s program is our investigative approach to learning. Students generate authentic questions relevant to issues in the world and do research to answer those questions. Students are placed in classes based upon their ability without limits due to curricula or age, and guided by their Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) that drives goal setting, learning strategies, and priorities.
- Develop classes anchored around authentic lab investigations, including developing students’ technical writing skills.
- Maintain a wet science lab following all appropriate safety and regulatory requirements.
- Incorporate current practices in professional life sciences and introduce students to innovations and thought leaders in the life sciences fields.
- Develop assessments and progress monitoring with an emphasis on student growth and performances of understanding and application of knowledge in novel contexts.
- Contribute to students’ ILPs and progress reports.
- Familiarity with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in life sciences or related field. Graduate degree, preferred.
- 2+ years of experience as a life sciences professional or life sciences teacher. Preference given to candidates with industry and teaching experience.
- Passion, high energy, and a commitment to hands-on, project-based learning.
- Commitment to engaging high-capacity learners through diverse learning methods.
Term & Anticipated Start Date
Full-time or part-time school-year options available. Start date by August 29, 2022.
Salary & Benefits
- Paid federal/state holidays plus school-year breaks.
- Health, dental and vision benefits available, SIMPLE IRA.
- School-aged children of full time employees are able to attend Acera’s after school and summer programs free of charge.
- Prolonged periods standing and walking throughout school, classroom, and campus, including climbing stairs.
- Must be able to assist students who have physical difficulties.
- Must be able to kneel, sit, stand, crawl, push, and pull to assist and teach children throughout the day.
- Must be able to traverse the space and adjust one’s tone and height, by bending or leaning, in order to teach each child.
- Prolonged periods sitting and working on computer to complete necessary planning, paperwork, etc
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Acera is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, marital status, veteran status, sex, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Conditions of Offer
You must provide documentation of a completed COVID vaccination series.
All offers of employment are contingent upon CORI, SORI, and fingerprint-based background checks, as required by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA), our company is required to verify the identity and work authorization of all newly hired employees. Therefore, if you accept this position, you will be required to complete a Form I-9 upon hire. Within 3 days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation days of beginning employment, you will need to supply acceptable documentation (as noted on the Form I-9) of your identity and work authorization.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.