Library Media Specialist
Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a full-time Library Media Specialist to join the robust faculty and staff in our pre-kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2024-25 school year. The Library Media Specialist works with library staff, parent volunteers, faculty and students to create a dynamic, engaging and inspiring environment to nurture and instill a love of reading and literature among community members. DCD has a literature-based library program with over 13,000 volumes, and maker-space integration. We seek an innovative leader who is passionate about children’s literature, and eager to share it in a variety of formats, working collaboratively with school constituents.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspire and support the reading lives of students and faculty by further developing our inclusive collection and promoting literacy goals
- Implement the library curriculum for PreK through grade 5 students, teach weekly classes as assigned, and provide direction for student book selection
- Lead reading groups as needed and provide middle school students with research assistance and curriculum support
- Evaluate and integrate emerging technologies as well as digital literacy to enhance teaching and learning both in the library and in lower school classrooms
- Oversee parent library volunteers
- Foster creativity, innovation, and collaboration through reading, storytelling, displays and related activities
- Curate a robust and diverse collection of literature in a variety of formats
- Coordinate the yearly DCD book fair with outside vendor and parent volunteers
- Serve as a member of the Library and Academic Technology Team, supporting students and teachers integrating technology into their learning
- Participate in the school community as a contributing member, through committee work, regular faculty/staff meetings and professional development opportunities
- Provide weekly coverage for recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in library science, education or related field
- A minimum of 2-3 years of teaching experience with library administrative experience preferred
- Knowledge of automated library systems and a willingness to integrate academic technology into the library experience
- Familiarity with lower school literacy curriculum and the administration of libraries
- Strong organizational skills and a passion for literacy, librarianship and working with children
- A passion for consuming, sharing and creating content in different formats
- An eagerness to embrace multicultural perspectives with experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- A willingness to be part of a collaborative team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School fosters a sense of community in which children feel seen, cared for and valued. We strive to provide children with a multicultural and culturally responsive education that honors the diversity of our community and the larger world. At DCD, we believe diversity includes a broad and evolving list of traits, including age, ethnicity, culture, nationality, family configuration, gender identity, orientation, social and economic class, physical and learning differences, religion, as well as other characteristics that contribute to each individual’s full identity. Embracing our motto, Learning Is a Way of Life, DCD supports its community in understanding and appreciating multiple perspectives, identifying and rejecting stereotypes and prejudices, understanding systemic oppression in all forms, and working for equity and belonging at DCD and beyond.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.