Library and Digital Media Instructional Faculty
Gould Academy, Bethel, ME
What distinguishes Gould from traditional boarding schools is its approach to the “whole person.” Gould Academy, located in Western Maine, is a highly respected, small, co-educational, independent boarding school of 200+ students in grades Eight through Post Graduate. Guided by our dedication to a student-centric pedagogy and our commitment to the values of diversity, equity, inclusivity, and belonging, Gould Academy seeks a Library and Digital Media Instructional Faculty to join our mission starting in the 2022-2023 school year. Gould Academy prepares academically motivated students for college and helps them to become independent-minded, ethical citizens who will lead lives of purpose, action, excellence, and compassion in a dynamic world. We welcome you to check us out at GouldAcademy.org and see all that we have to offer to our students, employees and community!
Gould Academy offers a challenging curriculum that includes an impressive collection of courses in all disciplines. The Library and Digital Media Instructional Faculty joins a blended team of IDEAS center teachers to provide leadership, development, and operation of the library with responsibility for all creative digital media technology. The position is charged with collaborating with the teachers to leverage existing technologies to foster innovation, research, and creativity. As a librarian, they facilitate a library program in conjunction with the History department, serve as a resource of information services, and oversee the daily functioning of the library. As the digital media instructor, they seek opportunities to promote photography, graphic arts, fine arts, film or a related field that showcases Adobe software systems. This position requires one to be a self-starter and eager to participate in a collegial partnership in support of scholarly practices, and skilled at helping others of a variety of levels of expertise using commonly deployed digital tools.
As a faculty member they work actively to advance Gould’s mission, vision and strategy and acts as a positive contributor to the school community.
Works closely with IDEAS Center team, the arts department, the Teaching and Learning Team, and members of all academic departments, students, other administrators, parents, and sometimes outside resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops positive relationships throughout the organization
- Adheres to policies and expectations articulated in the Faculty & Administration Handbook and has strong understanding of his/her roles (teacher, advisor, coach, community life duties) as stated in the Code of Conduct and Community Guide
- Engages actively in the annual review process; submits written self-evaluation each year and engages in meetings per the established process calendar
- Establishes and maintains a shared departmental mission, philosophy and execution of work that are consistent with Gould’s vision, mission and goals
- Develops long range departmental goals, practices, and policies in collaboration with members of the department in support of the school and its leadership
- Meets daily professional expectations regarding attendance, timeliness, deadlines
- Supports the library’s mission, philosophy, and execution of work that is consistent with Gould’s vision, mission, and values
- Meets with teachers to learn about their programs, share ways to integrate library resources into those programs and plan specific research based projects.
- Maintains the library as a clean, welcoming place that invites student learning.
- Maintains and updates the library collection and automation system.
- Provide or arrange for professional development for teachers on how to utilize library resources to further their instructional goals.
- Ensures the library is well represented through Gould Communications; makes sure library information on the website is accurate and up to date, publicizes and honors the scholarship and endeavors of the library
- Collaborates on developing an annual library budget that allows for the on-going purchase of supplies and equipment; administers the budget in cooperation with the Business Office and Chief Financial Officer
- Engages in professional practice and development to stay current and informed with trends, ideas, research, and practices in library and information science
Digital Media Teacher:
- Teaches two sections of digital media, videography, and/or yearbook
- Inspires and supports learning
- Demonstrates content knowledge and teaching skills
- Demonstrates proficiency working with a range of language learners; supports the well-being of all students
- Effectively uses Canvas to plan and organize instruction
- Engages in professional practice and development to stay current and informed with respective disciplinary trends, research and teaching practices
- Promotes skills, knowledge and interest in one’s respective discipline
- Promotes creativity, creative confidence and a growth mindset for students and faculty
- Serves as a leader and role model; inspires others through one’s integrity, work ethic, positive attitude and commitment
Assumes an advisory role for up to eight students, serving as the communications between the student, teachers and family. Advisors meet briefly each day with advisees but often arrange longer sessions each week to discuss the students academic progress, extracurricular activities and any other concerns that arise during the academic year. Professional counselors are available as a resource as well.
Assumes coaching/supervisory responsibilities for a sport/co-curricular program two out of three seasons. Some coaching assignments are in the interscholastic program and other assignments are the intramural programs. Some supervising assignments are responsible for clubs and other programs that enhance the educational experience of the students and are assigned according to interest and workload.
Faculty who live in dormitory apartments or other school housing help to supervise the boarding students on weeknights and weekends as resident faculty members or affiliates. In a dorm, faculty and proctors work together as a team to make the residential experience one in which students can learn from one another. Dormitory duty usually involves one to two weekday nights of regular duty, one or two nights of backup duty, and weekend duty every three or four weekends, depending on the number of faculty members working in the dormitory. All faculty, whether living in a dormitory or not, are assigned to a Duty Team to do weeknight duties and help chaperone weekend activities.
- Assists the Admissions and Advancement Offices, occasionally and when asked, by attending and speaking at special events and meeting with prospective students and families, consultants, alums, prospective donors, etc
- Assists in the search and hiring process for new teaching candidates
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. S/he will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor(s) and/or the Head of School
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal levels of guidance and high levels of initiative
- Willingness to participate in professional development to enhance library skills
- Experience with photographic and video software like Adobe LIghtroom, Photoshop, and Adobe Primere Pro
- Experience teaching and/or significant prior relevant experience as an educator
- Experience with significant administrative experience with facility management
- Strong understanding and commitment to working with adolescent students and faculty in a boarding school environment
- Personal warmth and a collaborative leadership style
- Communicates responsibly and effectively in all media and forms
- Adept at establishing and maintaining positive, productive, professional relationships with students, parents, faculty, staff, and outside resources
- Ability to function productively with a high level of organization, flexibility, consistency and integrity; contributes as a positive member of any team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Possess a valid drivers license and successfully pass a criminal and sexual offender background check, obtain CHRC clear status from the Maine Department of Education
- Provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or must request an exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief on or before July 1st, 2022
Physical and Environmental Conditions
These physical requirements are not exhaustive and additional job related physical requirements may be added to these by individuals on an as needed basis. Corrective devices may be used to meet physical requirements.
- Frequent standing, walking, stooping, bending, pushing and pulling, sitting
- Occasional prolonged and irregular hours
- Occasional lifting up to 10 pounds
- Occasionally this position will be driving a motor vehicle, kneeling, squatting, and climbing
- Prolonged use of computer and repetitive hand motions
- Ability to visit and move around on and off campus, must be able to travel to all campus locations and to appropriate training and/or meetings as required
Gould Academy prepares academically motivated students for college and helps them to become independent-minded, ethical citizens who will lead lives of purpose, action, excellence, and compassion in a dynamic world.
This is a 10 month, full time faculty, exempt position beginning mid August 2022. Benefits include a generous retirement plan match, cost sharing for health and dental insurance, free $50,000 life and LTD insurances, health savings contribution, time off throughout the year in accordance with the school calendar (12 holidays plus additional breaks), discounted season pass to Sunday River, wellness culture with an annual contribution to employee wellness preference and encouragement to participate in Mountain Day and Ski Day, academy “days off” when the community comes together outside of the classroom. Use of the fitness center, including indoor tennis and skate park. Gould provides meals at our campus dining facility for you and your family. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates apply for this position by creating an applicant profile online. You will be asked to answer a few questions, upload your resume and a cover letter sharing with us – Why Gould?
Click here to create an applicant profile
To learn more about Gould Academy visit us at: www.gouldacademy.org/careers. If you prefer to apply by mail please contact Deborah Menezes, Director of Human Resources, at 207-824-7797.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Gould Academy does not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, creed, color, gender, disability, or sexual orientation in the administration of its educational policies, admission, financial aid, loans, hiring process, and other school programs.