Shore Country Day School, Beverly, MA
Start date: Week of Aug. 21st, 2023 (orientation week for new employees)
Status: Full Time, Exempt, 10-month faculty, On-campus
Reports to: Director of Instruction and Inclusion
Using PDF format, please send a resumé and a cover letter describing how you meet the below criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The role of Librarian at Shore requires a motivated, energetic, innovative individual with effective communication and interpersonal skills and a commitment to fostering a love of reading and inclusive education, integrating information literacy and technology skills into the curriculum, and providing resources and support to all members of the school community.
In living out our Equity and Inclusion Commitment, we encourage candidates of all backgrounds, abilities, and lived experiences to apply, including candidates of color, candidates who are members of the LGBTQ+ community, neurodivergent candidates, multilingual candidates, and other candidates from historically underrepresented communities.
- Steward the collection, appearance, and strategic growth of the library as a community learning space
- Support Shore’s diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts by continually diversifying the collection of children’s literature and curating professional resources for faculty, staff, and caregivers
- Apply culturally responsive pedagogy techniques to create a strong sense of safety, belonging, and learning engagement for students in weekly library classes (currently pre-K-grade 5)
- Work with students, employees, and families to access print & electronic materials
- Attend pertinent division and grade level meetings
- Curate collections for curricular support in classrooms
- Oversee ethical and responsible use of library resources and information, including library budget, catalog records, online databases, and all other resources
- Arrange for visiting authors/illustrators, including book sales and signings
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of professional issues, including literature for children and young adults, information literacy, and integration of technology into curriculum, through reading of professional journals, attending library conferences, and participating in professional school librarian organizations (EISLA, MSLA, ALA)
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong proficiency with culturally responsive pedagogy
- Massachusetts library certification or Master’s degree in Library & Information Science, Instructional Media, or equivalent required
- Successful prior experience working in a school library
- Thorough knowledge of children’s and young adult literature
- Proficiency with automated library systems, email, and spreadsheet programs
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions both orally and in writing from students, teachers, caregivers, administrators, staff, and the general public
Shore Country Day School (Boston Metropolitan area) is a Pre-K – Grade 9 independent day school serving students of all social identities. Our commitment to anti-racist and culturally responsive teaching, staff, and administrative practices are the privilege and responsibility of every member of the Shore Community. All employees are supported through mentoring, significant professional development opportunities, and a culture of intentionality for individual belonging and innovation.
- Video of Shore leaders discussing worklife, courtesy of Strategenius.
- Employment page with Videos of Shore teachers and students.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Shore Country Day School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.