Dedham Country Day School, Dedham, MA
Dedham Country Day School (DCD) seeks a well-qualified full-time Learning Specialist to join the robust faculty in our Pre-Kindergarten to grade 8 community for the 2023-24 school year.
At DCD, our children develop a willingness to try, an ability to do, and a drive to care. We strive to provide a multicultural and anti-bias education which celebrates the diversity of our community and prepares children with the skills they need to connect and thrive in our diverse world. We believe that a broad range of experiences and viewpoints enhances learning and enriches life for students and faculty alike. We strongly encourage applications from people of color or educators from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools, and are committed to an inclusive school experience for all who work at DCD. Additionally, DCD places a high value on the professional growth of all faculty and staff and provides outstanding opportunities for individual professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate classroom reading instruction with lower school students (grades 1-3) and lead additional small group reading sessions (two to three times a week) with at-risk readers (grades 1-3)
- Provide specialized small group lower school mathematics and support students with math learning
- Accurately monitor students’ progress and growth, maintaining records of students’ performance and reading development; administer assessments as needed
- Support students’ study skills, organization and writing skills in and outside of the classroom
- Communicate on a regular basis with families and compose formal individualized reports on student progress at the conclusion of each term
- Consult with faculty to develop and manage academic programming to support students with a variety of learning needs and make recommendations for possible interventions
- Participate in parent/teacher conferences twice a year, team meetings for grades and divisions, regular faculty/staff meetings, and professional development opportunities
- Take part in the school community as a contributing member, through committee work, school events, professional development opportunities, etc.
- Provide coverage for weekly recess and lunch duties
Strong candidates will have:
- Experience working with students with learning needs
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of and/or training in reading programs, such as Orton-Gillingham, RAVE-O, Wilson, etc.
- Knowledge of assessments, such as DIBELS, WRMT, DRA, etc.
- Experience building an inclusive environment and an awareness of anti-bias teaching practices
- A openness to integrate academic technology into the classroom experience
- A willingness to be part of a collaborative team
School Mission and Philosophy:
DCD is proud to offer an educational experience that:
- Provides to each child a unique educational balance of challenging academics, arts, and athletics;
- Embraces an inclusive interdependent community of students, teachers, and parents that fosters trust and encourages children to take risks;
- Creates independent, resilient, lifelong learners through engaging, developmentally based teaching designed to meet varied learning styles; and
- Inspires students to become caring, ethical members of the larger world by emphasizing thoughtful citizenship and respect for self and others.
Dedham Country Day School provides a competitive salary and benefits plan. A salary range for this position is available by request. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Katie Ouellette, Special Assistant to the Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dedham Country Day School is an independent, coeducational Pre-Kindergarten – Grade 8 school located just west of Boston in Dedham MA. DCD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability.