The Williston Northampton School, Easthampton, MA
The Williston Northampton School, an independent co-educational boarding and day school in Easthampton, Massachusetts, is a culturally diverse educational community serving students in grades 7-12. We are seeking to hire a full-time Learning Specialist to serve as part of the Academic Dean’s Office to begin work immediately. This position spans September 2023 through June 2024, with the possibility for renewal in 2024-25. Reporting to the Director of Academic Support, (DAS) the Learning Specialist is responsible for assisting in the coordination and facilitation of academic support functions for students who have documented learning differences as well as those who require assistance through Williston’s Center for Academic Success. The Learning Specialist will teach Academic Strategies Tutorial (AST) during the academic day and will assist in facilitating the Laboratory for Academic Success (LAS) one evening per week. Duties of the position will include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with implementation of appropriate instructional support plans for students
- Assisting the DAS in developing appropriate recommendations for curricular and executive functioning support
- Referring families to the DAS when academic testing may be indicated
- Teaching 3-4 sections of AST per term(each section meets twice a week with a maximum of four students)
- Collaboratively creating and implementing curriculum in executive functioning and study skills for the AST course with two other AST teachers
- Tracking student progress and communicating frequently with parents and faculty
- Overseeing LAS during study hall from 8-10 PM once per week as scheduled by the DAS
- Coordinating with Health Services and Athletic Trainer to provide academic accommodation plans for students under concussion management
This position may also include some weekend duty team responsibilities.
It is important that candidates possess the flexibility, energy, initiative, commitment to teamwork, and appreciation for adolescents that life in an independent school boarding community requires. Candidates must have the ability to work intuitively, independently, and collaboratively. Proficiency in writing and interpersonal skills as well as understanding of student learning challenges required. A full job description can be found at https://www.williston.com/campus-info/employment/
Candidates must be able to successfully complete the state and school-mandated background checks including CORI, SORI, and a fingerprint-based criminal background check. Full job description available. Please include a cover letter and resume addressed to Laura Vachet, Director of Academic Support. EOE, non-smoking campus.