Lead 3rd Grade Teacher (All subjects/contained classroom)
Mother Caroline Academy & Education Center, Boston, MA
The 3rd Grade teacher will need to have a strong background in teaching to the
developmental needs of elementary school students. Not only will the 3rd Grade teacher
be expected to cover elements of reading, analysis, writing and grammar, math, science,
but this teacher will also need to have a strong teaching background in elementary
education. The goal of the 3rd Grade curriculum is to build students’ skills not only in
language-related areas, but the 3rd Grade teacher will also need to facilitate a successful
blend of these elements in a comprehensive and age-appropriate curriculum along with
including visual arts when appropriate to give elementary school students a strong
foundation in oral and written expression. A successful 3rd Grade teacher will lead with
project-based learning principles to produce engaging content for the student.
● Develop thematic units for 3rd Grade classes using the backwards design model
in which planning follows these three steps: 1) identifying standards-aligned
desired results (in terms of acquisition, meaning, and transfer); 2) designing
performance tasks/assessments that provide evidence of learning; and 3) creating
a learning plan. 3rd Grade units must integrate language arts, social studies, arts,
science, and civic standards.
● Deliver daily 3rd Grade lessons that are engaging, relevant, and rigorous.
● Understand and apply effective strategies for intervention and differentiation in
the classroom, including serving English language learners and students with
individualized education plans (IEPs).
● Embed opportunities for student critical-thinking, communication, collaboration,
and creativity, as well as use of technology and digital media, into all lesson and
● Integrate reading and writing, arts, and historical context into every class taught,
● Maintain strong classroom management and hold students accountable for
upholding school policies, student-developed norms, and classroom expectations.
● Update curriculum on a regular basis using data and research, and seek out
colleagues and professional development opportunities for 3rd Grade curriculum
● All other duties as assigned by the Leadership Team.
Skills and Experience:
The 3rd Grade teacher is expected to:
● Have experience successfully teaching a 3rd Grade-based curriculum in an urban
school, including a track record of improving student achievement.
● Have a Bachelor’s degree and or Master’s Degree (or working towards) in
Education or related field.
● Use data to inform instructional planning and practice, sharing and analyzing
student performance results, and humility in constantly working to improve
● Experience in standards-based, backwards planning.
● Experience working in an entrepreneurial, dynamic school or related demanding
● Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Have proficiency in email, word processing, spreadsheets, Google
Traits and Qualities:
At MCA, we believe that an excellent staff member does the following:
● Believes that all of us can and will learn and creates a positive learning
environment with high expectations for all students and staff throughout the
● Thrives as part of a team-oriented, mission-driven culture.
● Exudes joy and a love of learning every single day.
● Demonstrates a growth mindset and a desire to continually improve through
feedback, coaching, and professional development.
● Believes that all children can and will learn.
● Ability to persevere with a sense of optimism, strong problem solving skills, and a
desire to learn and grow in a collaborative professional learning community.
● Willingness, and commitment, to go above and beyond to prove the possible with
● Willing and able to play different roles at the school to meet the varied and
constant needs of the students and staff at MCA.
● Models positive and healthy character traits and habits, as well as the values of
● Willing to do whatever it takes to help our students achieve academic excellence.
● Constantly assesses progress, communicates results clearly, and uses data to
inform decisions and set ambitious goals.
● Has a strong work ethic and commits to doing whatever it takes for students to
excel, including committing to an extended work day and remaining available to
colleagues, students, and families outside of school hours.
MCA School Hours:
Daily 7:30 am-4:00 pm
Vacations and school closures generally follow Boston Public Schools.
Consummate with Experience.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references to: email@example.com
Head of School
Mother Caroline Academy & Education Center
515 Blue Hill Avenue, Dorchester, MA 02121
After we receive your information, you will be contacted about next steps.